Hippo PA from Hippo Education review

I just answered a PM about the course and figured I'd share it:

Hi XXXXXX, yes, I took the Hippo course (called Hippo PA at www.hippopa.com) and I found it to be outstanding. It was way better than the misery of going to a live course and pretending that you're going to absorb that material at their pace with a 100 other people. I took a CME resources course and it was a joke to me. Several people here say the liked it so maybe it's for them but for me... nope. I need something more new-school then a dude giving me 8 hours of powerpoint for 5 days.

And nothing online even comes close. Check them all out (the UMNDJ, Kaplan) and you'll see that Hippo's site is so far beyond what everyone else is doing it's laughable. Honestly, it's way to cheap right now. I asked them why and they said they wanted to price it BELOW everything else legitimately competing with them so they'd grow a market base. I don't think it's going to stay that cheap forever. Rumor has it that they had initially priced it at $600 and were doing fine, then cut the price in half as an experiment (They refunded every single $600 user for the difference too! Who does that?).

The Hippo course is WAY better in terms of being web-based, outstanding quality, entertaining, and seemed to keep getting better as I was studying (adding new bonus content etc.). Plus I have access for a year and that's been awesome even post test (passed very well!). Supposedly their passrate so far is at or near 100%. They said they built in from the ground up from the NCCPA Blueprint that the PANCE and PANRE are based on. It's totally organized like the blueprint.

Let's see, you can ask private questions to the instructors and get private answers, you can bookmark videos, it's self-paced, there are written PDF summaries of everything, there's 40 hours of CME if you need it included in the price, there's a game you play that takes you from like a one-celled organism up to Einstein level as you master the material... I mean, it's seriously good.

So, I'd say you can't go wrong. Right now they only have a limited number of questions available on the site but they say they're building a totally awesome practice test feature. In the mean time I'd by a question book and do those. They're cheap and effective. I liked Davis's book.

My friend just signed up and had asked them for a "trial" and they emailed him a one hour subscription Full-featured trial. They should make this more public I think as I can't find it on the home page. And, after all that they have a no-pass no-pay policy.

I'm going to post this for the group too. If anyone has questions let me know I'd be happy to contribute.

TOTALLY MY OPINION, check it out and buy if you like (try that trial subscription thingee)

Sam

• 2 months later...

The trial subscription is currently 4 hours of access from the time you sign up for it, so you need to have the next 4 hours after you sign up free in order to take advantage and look through the material to see if it suits your needs. Most of what I saw looked pretty good and the formats suit me, so I decided to buy it. I am reviewing for the PANRE.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Has any1 else used the Hippo-PA site?

I was very interested in the $300; now $500, I have to really consider the extra cost!

I like the fact that there are CME's attached but not sure if that's included or not!

I have 1/2 my CME $$ for this year, so web based would b cheaper than live course (flight/hotel/time off)

also I need more CME's this year!

I'll investigate further....

In the meantime: any1 have any comments on this course?

Thanks!

As I prep for my 1st PANRE!!

Has any1 else used the Hippo-PA site?

I was very interested in the $300; now $500, I have to really consider the extra cost!

I like the fact that there are CME's attached but not sure if that's included or not!

I have 1/2 my CME $$ for this year, so web based would b cheaper than live course (flight/hotel/time off)

also I need more CME's this year!

I'll investigate further....

In the meantime: any1 have any comments on this course?

Thanks!

As I prep for my 1st PANRE!!

I used the Hippo course to study for the PANRE which I just took a couple of weeks ago and on which I did extremely well despite thinking that it was hard while taking it. I really enjoyed the Hippo course. Some lectures are certainly better than others but overall I found the speakers to be informative and entertaining. I liked being able to go at my own pace and repeat the lectures that I found to be the best. I've never been to other review courses but think that there would be a lot to absorb in a short period of time with a 3 or 5 day session.

I did all of the practice questions on Hippo and though their format is different than the actual test I found them very helpful. The question bank feature was new and I did find some mistakes. It's certainly a drawback that the price was increased from when I bought it a few months back but I would still consider it a good deal with almost 40 credits of CME including. I did other review questions from different sources and honestly didn't find any of them to be without fault. The Kaplan book contained a lot of physiology questions that were way off base from anything on the exams though other questions were quite good. Lang Q&A again had some pretty off base questions though again it was helpful.

Hope that helped some. Best of luck on your exam!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, regarding the CME. There is also an optional EKG course as part of the paid package. I purchased it on a Thursday and took the exam this past Wed. without looking at the EKG portion. Lot of info in a quick time window. Some info was almost verbatim off exam. Ortho and endo need to be paid attention to. I've always thought more attention needed to be paid to PE assessment on the PANRE, which it isn't in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the four hour trial of Hippo, and I found it to be VERY helpful. I got more than a couple of correct answers on the PANRE thanks to the cardiology and pulmonology videos. When I retest in five years (not waiting until the last minute next cycle), I am going to use Hippo to study and forget about the Emory review. I didn't find it helpful for the PANCE, and I didn't find it helpful for the PANRE this time, either.

• 3 months later...

I agree with the above post. The 5 day CME course from sun up to sun down was overwhelming and exhausting. I did not absorb much from the course. The course did tell me that I needed to go home and really study and be serious about it. Then I bought Hippo PA, what a great review ! You can watch the videos over and over again. Never was bored, and could do this in the privacy of my home. The questions were at the same level that I found on the PANRE. and I passed , and the HIPPO so helped me pass. The end results, is that not just one course is the majic tool but a combination. Joanne Bergen PAC

• 2 weeks later...

Archived