PAs on call?

2 hours ago, faith45605 said:

I've heard that PAs are pretty busy and stressed from being on call. I was wondering if there are certain kinds of PAs that aren't on call. Someone told me that there might be certain PAs that specialize in certain areas that aren't on call but they weren't too sure..

The on-call duties vary from phone calls to inhouse. If a PA is so stressed out with call I personally question their skill levels and confidence. The practice should know when or if they can handle the responsibility of call. Are you looking for an easy job or one with fewer clinical responsibilities?

On 8/29/2021 at 2:08 AM, CAdamsPAC said:

The on-call duties vary from phone calls to inhouse. If a PA is so stressed out with call I personally question their skill levels and confidence. The practice should know when or if they can handle the responsibility of call. Are you looking for an easy job or one with fewer clinical responsibilities?

Can't they be stressed out because call is not fun?  Getting back-to-back calls all weekend, calls in the middle of the night causing lack of sleep, calls that require you to go in to see the patient at 1am?  Call doesn't lead to a good work/life balance for many.  So, may not have anything to do with skill level/confidence.  

I would even offer that perhaps there is a majority of PAs who do NOT take call, so I'm curious if the OP is just being exposed heavily to folks in subspecialties in specific hospital systems or regions where this is the expectation. I have "call" but it's just a backup day where I might be asked to work a shift when someone calls in sick. It's not carrying a pager at home.

I sort-of have call.  My company staffs rural critical access hospitals emergency departments.  We all travel to the site and stay there.  The doc works a 12 hour day shift and the PA's/NP's work the 12 hour night shift.  We call the docs for a few kinds of situations, they call us occasionally during the day when the department gets slammed.