Question About EM Residency

Frankly I doubt the program would find out unless the other place is affiliated with the residency or someone from the residency site also moonlights at whatever second job you are thinking about.

My advice, however, would be to not work a second job if in a residency. It may be difficult due to scheduling, you'll likely be tired, you'll want some free/down time, and you'll have plenty of new stuff to read or learn about on your time off. Most likely all of these.

I understand money can be tight but to maximize the residency experience a second job would be tough.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dphy83 said:

Frankly I doubt the program would find out unless the other place is affiliated with the residency or someone from the residency site also moonlights at whatever second job you are thinking about.

My advice, however, would be to not work a second job if in a residency. It may be difficult due to scheduling, you'll likely be tired, you'll want some free/down time, and you'll have plenty of new stuff to read or learn about on your time off. Most likely all of these.

I understand money can be tight but to maximize the residency experience a second job would be tough.

Thank you so much for your response and advice. I haven't asked the program and didn't see any policy from the contract that I have signed before regarding to this matter. I'm just curious to know what other programs' policies are before I even ask them. Just have to ask them to clarify the rules for me before I can follow them. Definitely don't want to get into trouble with this. Thank you so much again for your response!

5 hours ago, JD2012 said:

Many of the residencies do not allow you to moonlight and will be in the contract. This was from personal experience when researching as well as when interviewing. Also, depending on the residency you might not even have time to even wipe your tookus let alone moonlight.

Thank you so much for your response! 

Our contract stated we had to have permission and it could not exceed work hour restrictions when combined with residency hours.

I moonlighted. Many of the physician residents didn’t bother asking permission. I did and was allowed, but was told it was because I was relatively well experienced before residency and I was almost a year into my 18 month program.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Our contract stated we had to have permission and it could not exceed work hour restrictions when combined with residency hours.

I moonlighted. Many of the physician residents didn’t bother asking permission. I did and was allowed, but was told it was because I was relatively well experienced before residency and I was almost a year into my 18 month program.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience