Hourly rate for ED PRN in upper midwest

Like it says on the tin. I am keeping my full time job and don’t need/want bennies from this position. I don’t have ED experience but I’m 8 years out with mixed hospitalist/surgery experience. The gig is at the county hospital. The AAPA salary report has too small of a sample size to be much help; for what it’s worth, $60-70/hour is what’s on the report.

Trying to gauge where my expectations should lay.

2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

Under non-covid conditions, If fast track only 65-75/hr. If main dept coverage 75-95/hr.

I'm in the "lower" midwest: Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana area.  In general I think fast track should probably be about $5/hour higher.  However, it's very dependent on the individual market.  For example, Cincinnati and and Dayton are only about 55 miles apart but Cincinnati pays $5-15 hour better.  Upstate, e.g. Cleveland is higher.  Some but not all rural is higher.  In general Indiana is the best paying, Ohio in the middle, Kentucky the poorest, though I know of a level III in KY that's offering $95/hour for locums.

• Like 1

Also “lower” Midwest not terribly far from Ohio. Is it 1099 or w2? Group or hospital employee? Is it rural CAH or a suburban level 3 or a urban level 2? Is it true part time with a regular schedule or PRN?

I get 80-100/hr PRN w2 depending on the size and volume of the hospital. I get minimum 110/hr 1099

But I have EM experience. You likely have the diagnostic chops doing hospital and surgery work. Procedural skills to sell? Also it can be different juggling  several very active work ups at the same time. If I were hiring you for PRN in my shop, just guesstimating your resume, I would pay you 75-80 w2, depending on the volume I was expecting you to see.

• Like 1

It's hospital employee, W2. Level 4 trauma center. Volume is 60-80 patients per day. There is no fast track/main ED, it's too small. The ED is staffed by a single physician 24/7 and has day/evening coverage by 2 PAs as well. No nights. Per my discussion with them, I would be expected to see "everything" and manage it on my own, but in practice they were frank that many of the more serious issues that come in are turfed to the physician assuming he/she is not already busy with something else. But they were also careful to mention that the physician is sometimes truly busy with that something else, since there is only a single hospitalist covering the medical inpatients (and another for OB) and the ED physician is expected to pinch hit in the case of multiple deliveries, for example.

They told me their flat rate for PRN staff is a $56 and some change per hour.

I was very surprised. That is significantly less than I make in my full time position, which also offers benefits and PTO, etc.