Cancelling Elective Procedures What's Next?

Hospitals around town are cancelling elective procedures because of the growing shortage of hospital beds. Does anyone else get a sense of deja vu? I know that a lot of us were able to adapt to telemedicine but if there are more restrictions to come, what do you think round two will look like?

Edited by aimhye

Staff shortages........

1. Staff is sick

2. Staff is burned out beyond belief and tired of risking their lives for endless shifts

3. Not enough staff after COVID changes and furloughs

4. Medical staff found other professions due to COVID and burnout and all of the above

NONE of these choices is awesome

You can put out a call for All Hands on Deck and staff and promise whatever pay you want - the conditions suck, the equipment is scarce, no real cure and the trauma is real of watching folks die with or without remorse/regret over vaccines and masks. 

Somewhat reminiscent of the flu - not so sick go to ER and should stay home, super sick can't get in the ER because of the not so sick or "demanding to be tested asx".

It will only get worse with fall/winter coming. More indoor time, more spread, more mutations.

It is a very real fear on many fronts.

Deep sigh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have noticed that no one has really identified the failure of the health system specifically, aside from saying "failure of the health system".  The nurse heroes get loads of attention, but very little attention to the villians, like the CEO's, board members, and administrators who used "just in time" product delivery systems, who rigged the system to production and speed rather than quality, and who would rather get a sweet, sweet bonus rather than hire a few more damn providers.  

We are all in this together, my ass. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, thinkertdm said:

I have noticed that no one has really identified the failure of the health system specifically, aside from saying "failure of the health system".  The nurse heroes get loads of attention, but very little attention to the villians, like the CEO's, board members, and administrators who used "just in time" product delivery systems, who rigged the system to production and speed rather than quality, and who would rather get a sweet, sweet bonus rather than hire a few more damn providers.  

We are all in this together, my ass. 

The Suits always hide behind the clinical staff when the bullets are flying ( rhetorically speaking)and then jump into the spotlight of the media crowing about the great job "we" have done!  I've asked ad nauseum about where the billions of dollars set aside for disaster contingencies went to and pointed out that supply shortages were created by purchasing policies and funding priorities of "the Suits"! I've yet to learn specifically who died because of " ventilators not being available" or which "Suit" was shown the door for administrative of logistic shortcomings exposed by this pandemic? Can anyone cite witnessing this or having knowledge to share?

• Upvote 2

The situation is dire in some areas, no EMT to respond as all are occupied, wait times through the roof. I'm just wondering about the trickle down effect. Seems like furloughs and layoffs will soon be a given if procedures are being cancelled, or EDs closed as was the case in the article EMEDPA linked above. On top of that, people are leaving healthcare at all levels and not returning. Burnout, risk, etc. Administrators slashing pay/benefits and extending hours worked, pushing more patients though all to better the bottom line. Is there any place/specialty for PAs that is immune to this?

Honestly I see this as a “not my problem” issue.  

adults sick with covid made the choice not to get vaccinated and outcome is on them (yup cold but I am tired and burned out)

peds is a different issue (<12 as no vaccine). Honestly think we should be D/C unvaccinated adults home with VNA/Hospice and prioritize the peds.  

we are the sum of our decision and if you decided to skip vaccine it is your problem not mine.   Enough people realize this is a medical issue and not political then we might just stand a chance.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

6 hours ago, ventana said:

adults sick with covid made the choice not to get vaccinated and outcome is on them (yup cold but I am tired and burned out)

peds is a different issue (<12 as no vaccine). Honestly think we should be D/C unvaccinated adults home with VNA/Hospice and prioritize the peds.  

we are the sum of our decision and if you decided to skip vaccine it is your problem not mine.   Enough people realize this is a medical issue and not political then we might just stand a chance.  

adults sick with lung cancer/colon cancer/sleep apnea/chronic back pain  made the choice not to quit smoking/get colonoscopy/sleep study or lose weight/lose weight  and outcome is on them (yup cold but I am tired and burned out)

I agree.  People who do dumb shit deserve what they get.  

This was in my wallet:

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:
I will respect the hard-won scientific gains 
I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science
I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.
I will respect the privacy of my patients
I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. 
I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.
I will remember that I remain a member of society.
If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

I just tore it up

• Upvote 1

Children getting COVID breaks my heart.

Their parents are making bad decisions and subjecting their kids to the consequences.

Kids don’t deserve to die due to their parents’ dumb beliefs and bad choices and behaviors. 

I would jump in front of a train for my kids and being a parent is the greatest job of my life. Being a parent is a privilege not to be taken for granted. You get one chance not to screw it up too much.

How we got this far down the rabbit hole into darkness and idiocy just disturbs my soul. 

Some days it is too much

20 minutes ago, Reality Check 2 said:

How we got this far down the rabbit hole into darkness and idiocy just disturbs my soul. 

Some days it is too much

Evidently it's because we have somehow been "talking down to folks and now they don't like us...".  If telling people the truth is talking down to them then....yeah, I guess so.

Darwin is in the waiting room making plans for them...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Cideous said:

Evidently it's because we have somehow been "talking down to folks and now they don't like us...".  If telling people the truth is talking down to them then....yeah, I guess so.

I'm not entirely sure its that. It's more speaking the truth in a patronizing, paternalistic fashion that turns people off. I tell patients "here's my take on all this" and go over the stats for Covid deaths and vaccination complications. From a pure roll of the dice perspective, the chance of a bad outcome from the disease appears significantly higher than from the shot. I don't have anything to add beyond that. If they want to debate whether Dr. Fauci is smart or a nice guy, I'll tell them I have no idea, never met him - this is all my personal view on the matter based on the best info I have.

I've had a few people smile like they know more than me, but never had anyone get angry or hurt feelings over it.  

• Upvote 2

Ventana, I don't see it as a "not my problem" issue. It is a problem for any and all of us who might need medical services (children, adults, seniors) but who are now increasingly turned away because resources are being depleted AGAIN by silly asses who 1) don't believe in CoVid 2) don't want to wear a mask to protect themselves or others 3) don't want to get the vaccine. They are the ones to blame for a return to closures and restrictions and the rampant burnout we're seeing in healthcare. 

I think someplace in Europe started to allow only vaccinated people into business/restaurants/entertainment venues because it's the unvaccinated people who should be staying at home.

However, I agree with you 100% that the unvaccinated people who do get infected with CoVid should be d/c home because they are putting hospital workers at risk and I'd rather keep hospitals open for the people who have conditions not necessarily borne of their own stupidity--although that's arguable too.