Covid and dimers...

So in the interest of expediting care we have a few layers of workup in my EDs for folks with covid not needing bipap or intubation:

1. I want a test and I feel fine or have minor sx: test and d/c

2. I want a test or I know I am + and has low sats <92%: add cxr and labs. Consider home on oxygen and steroids

3. As per #2, but with dimer > 1.0. add CTA of chest to r/o PE. 

#3 is my issue. lots of literature supports checking dimers in covid + patients, but they are all high and most are > 1, so these folks end up with (mostly) needless CTAs. Anyone have a better method for deciding who gets the CTA? wells, perc, and Geneva are all out the window because of covid. We need an MD calc r/o PE algorithm in covid + patients....

Emedpa,

I’ve been in the same situation and have looked into this topic of D Dimer and Covid patients. My critical care doc says it’s helpful on their side to predict outcome ie high D Dimer patient doesn’t do so well. So with that in mind all admits get a d dimer at my shop. If it’s positive we generally do scan. 

If I’m leaning more outpt tx I will get one if they are PERC pos. Have actually caught a few PEs in young healthy Covid pos patients. For now I’ll be liberal with the D Dimers. 

• Like 1