Covid lawsuit

This article dropped into my email earlier, and I’m speechless.  Really.

Read the article, but basically a woman was seen by a PA, recovered.  A few weeks later, her husband, who had “significant comorbidities” had similar symptoms and went to the same PA.  The suit alleges the “wrong” test was ordered, and no treatment was given?  and the patient ultimately expired.  There’s a lot more I’m not including, but you have to remember this happened in nov 2020.  
First, there are some details missing, such as why the guy didn’t go to the Ed.  Second, I’m not sure why a test was even ordered, let alone waited on- there’s no treatment in an outpatient setting.  Third, this fellow had pretty bad issues, another lawsuit he and his wife were involved in he apparently had uncontrolled diabetes.

Finally, the comments truly terrifying.  
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/955557

Edited by thinkertdm

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, MediMike said:

Ridiculous case and ignorant comments. One of the reasons I've walked away from Medscape.

Didn't look at the comments. Rarely do.  Comment sections are a pox upon reporting, for the most part.

Methocarbamol, though? Would like to have known what that PA was thinking.  My best guess was that the patient complained of muscle aches.

You know, I wonder if there should be a "Have you ever sued and/or filed a board complaint about any medical provider for any reason? If so, explain completely" question on intake paperwork.

• Haha 1

Agree that it was likely prescribed for the associated myalgias, unless he had a super tenuous respiratory status it shouldn't have been a factor in... anything.

The initial treatment of the wife sounds pretty inappropriate as well with abx, steroids etc, of course we're not seeing everything. 

I read the story and was a tad baffled. Poor reporting. Should have led with - man over 65 gets COVID after wife does and dies. 

The med choices for wife and husband were odd.

No mention of ER or actual course of events.

Blood test for COVID - is there even one except antibodies?

Is this a podunk town in the stix with no facilities and no education for patients and providers?

Crappy article, comments worse. How many medical professionals are actually buying into horse paste and plaquenil? Disgraceful

There will be many lawsuits for the uneducated angry trying to make something out of an unpredictable deadly novel virus.

But first, do no harm 

• Like 2

The plaintiff alleges the medical practice did not warn Peter Dimoh of the risk of contracting COVID-19 from contact with Shirley Dimoh or offer prophylactics against infection. 

I read the whole thing.  Complete Bullshite.  

1.  There are/were no approved "prophylactics" for the husband.

2.  The wife was given antibiotics?  That did nothing to help her.

3.  The lawyer complained that the PA did not warn her that her husband could catch it?  Seriously?

4.  These people have a history of malpractice lawsuits....what a surprise.

And yet, this PA and doc will go through living hell for years...EVEN if they win.

And, did you see how much the wife is asking for?  5 million.  How many here carry 1 mil/3 mil policies?  If she wins, she will take everything the PA and Doc own.  Boats, cars, savings even their house depending on their states homestead laws.

THIS is everything that is wrong with medicine.  It just isn't worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cideous said:

The plaintiff alleges the medical practice did not warn Peter Dimoh of the risk of contracting COVID-19 from contact with Shirley Dimoh or offer prophylactics against infection. 

I read the whole thing.  Complete Bullshite.  

1.  There are/were no approved "prophylactics" for the husband.

2.  The wife was given antibiotics?  That did nothing to help her.

3.  The lawyer complained that the PA did not warn her that her husband could catch it?  Seriously?

4.  These people have a history of malpractice lawsuits....what a surprise.

And yet, this PA and doc will go through living hell for years...EVEN if they win.

And, did you see how much the wife is asking for?  5 million.  How many here carry 1 mil/3 mil policies?  If she wins, she will take everything the PA and Doc own.  Boats, cars, savings even their house depending on their states homestead laws.

THIS is everything that is wrong with medicine.  It just isn't worth it. 

agreed.  In fact, I can not agree more.  

This rings of years ago when a PA was sued for "failure to tell patient the consequences of smoking" IN DETAIL BY DISEASE PROCESS in the chart - the lawyer dinged that PA for "not listing each process in detail and by body part" for smoking related diseases. 

Despite

The Surgeon General Warning on cigarettes for over 40 yrs.

Despite

Commercials on TV

Despite

common sense

Lawyers are by and large evil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, Reality Check 2 said:

Lawyers are by and large evil

I can't necessarily disagree with that, but what makes it worse is an utter lack of personal responsibility. No one seems to own their existence anymore. Instead they bumble through a life as though it were composed entirely of a series of external events imposed upon them. 

• Upvote 1