Anyone gotten mad at a patient on COVID vaccine discussion??

• Administrator

They're drunk drivers: they fail to control themselves, hurt other people, and often aren't the ones paying the highest price for their recklessly malicious behavior.

We treat them all the same.  We try to help them, just like we try and help their victims, because we are the healers, not the courts. But yeah, righteous anger? You betcha.  It's the saints among us who can pity, rather than rage at, them.  Most of us are just human.

• Upvote 1

I get frustrated. Then I get bored and sweaty and more annoyed because I'm so sweaty. But I'm taking care of people who have it, it's not some theoretical discussion anymore.

I have found a silver lining. When they get sick enough a lot of them do cave and start asking about the vaccine. Not all of them, but a lot of them. And if they make it, they're usually a lot less feisty about the whole thing. And I've found they're so traumatized that many are willing to become vaccine-evangelists.

The only way to get through to some people now is to get a mole in there, a trusted source with a change of heart. I saw a photo on the Social Media a while back of a patient's ICU room door, where the nurses were tallying how many people had gotten the vaccine because of his illness.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

That's the job, unfortunately.

That's blatantly false.  The job is to treat them all the same, that's it. Full stop.  There is absolutely no ethical standard that we pity individuals who choose to not get vaccinated and then suffer the consequences of that decision.  Just as you're not required to pity those who show up with drug overdoses, MIs, fractures from drunk driving, lung CA from smoking etc.

Pity and empathy is nice, but definitely not required.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had Hepatitis B series 2 times, one for PA school and the second I was to submit immunity to a new employer.  No antibodies showed up.  That prompted the second series.   I never could show immunity.  The state health physician said not to worry, I would still have the antibodies.  Whew, dodged a bullet there. 

Got my ivermectin and HCQ and fluvoxamine.

Triggering you all. 

• Haha 2

On 8/26/2021 at 2:47 PM, rev ronin said:

They're drunk drivers: they fail to control themselves, hurt other people, and often aren't the ones paying the highest price for their recklessly malicious behavior.

We treat them all the same.  We try to help them, just like we try and help their victims, because we are the healers, not the courts. But yeah, righteous anger? You betcha.  It's the saints among us who can pity, rather than rage at, them.  Most of us are just human.

Doctors Announce They Will No Longer Treat Car Accident Victims Who Didn't Wear Their Seat Belt | The Babylon Bee

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, bluiz1997 said:

I don't get mad.  I just slightly smile and nod.  Meanwhile my last day of work in less than 2 weeks away.  Retirement from this game after 20 years feels good.  

Like banging your head on the wall, because  it feels so good  when you stop! Enjoy your new life you have earned it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had a recent patient that was admitted for COVID and respiratory failure and the conversation went like this...

Patient: So let me ask you...now that I have COVID, I will have antibodies right?

Me: *Wondering where this is going* Uh huh...

Patient: So when I leave, can I have a note saying that?

Me: A note for work that says you had COVID and when you can safely return?

Patient: No, just a note that says I had COVID and now I have antibodies

Me: Um...what is this note for?

Patient: I am going on a cruise soon and they are requiring vaccination

Me: *Stares at patient in silence*

Patient: I'm not going to get vaccinated

Me: *Stares at patient in silence*

Me: Ok, see ya tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lately I get at least 2 messages a day that say something like "I went to the UC and they said I have COVID. They gave me a Zpack. What else should I do?" or my other favorite "will you prescribe Ivermectin?"

Not unless you need worming....

In the "I'm pretty sure you are stupid" category... "my doctor said I need a Zpack for my COVID. Will you call it in?" Unless your doctor has a PhD in Philosophy he/she can call it in themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/29/2021 at 8:24 PM, CAdamsPAC said:

When medical staff treat car accident victims, performing the care in no way puts any of the medical staff at any higher risk of getting into car accidents themselves.  Treating COVID patients puts healthcare workers at risk of getting COVID.  Even if we are vaccinated, we could get a breakthrough infection.  How is this difference not obvious to everyone?

I ask my patients if they care about their grandkids or nieces and nephews.

They don't.

It's all about "control", "being forced" - COVID is a hoax.

So, folks are all me, me, me these days. Screw the other guy and, I guess, screw my kids and grandkids.

No sense of community or personal responsibility.

Hopefully Darwinism will help wash out the jerks.

Best I can do this morning - rough start, unmasked patients in the building and hospital overflowing, kids in ICUs.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...