Need help, feeling mental abuse first job

Hi all,

I need some professional advice and wisdom. I started my first job, and the doctor I work for is trying to change who I am and brainwash me. After the first or second week working, he told me my hair was "potent" and told me I needed to use unscented shampoo. Okay fine no problem, I did that. The next week, he said he could still smell me then proceeded to approach me within 1 inch and literally sniff my head since he didn't believe me when I told him I changed shampoos. Then he told me it's my clothes too, I need to go buy fragrance free detergent. Wtf.

He will explain an extremely simple concept, and then say "does that make sense?"...why wouldn't it make sense...he has no faith in my mental capacity.

According to him, I am not allowed to use the word "drastic" as this has a negative connotation, and instead I should use the word "dramatic" as this is much better.

He wants me to use psychology on patients to influence them to be "regulars" at our practice, with emotional way of speaking, echoing, etc. He literally told me he wants me to use psychology on them.

Also, I wore business professional (conservative colors too) the entire time but he sat me down one day after the second week and told me I must not wear black pants as patients will find me untrustworthy. I have to wear navy pants and a white top. But black shoes are required (rolls eyes). Now, according to him, patients will take me seriously. 

He told me I have to speak to the nurses in a way that gives them commands, because "they are here to obey our orders"...the nurses do what I ask of them even when I ask politely. I am new, I am not going to boss around the nurses. 

I also get paid the same rate as a nurse, come to find out, in the state I live in so I feel jipped. I pay $200/month for health insurance, and it does not even include dental. I get 2 weeks off per month, and I had to negotiate that. 

I haven't been here but a couple months but I want to leave desperately, and the field I'm in is very specialized.

He told me what we do is sales, and I have to treat certain patients better than others depending on the money they bring in the practice. I felt sick to my stomach, I can't be a part of this.

Can new employers find out where you worked? Since I have been here for such a short time, I planned on leaving this job off my resume and apply as a grad fresh out of school (its been 3.5 months since graduation), and I would like to avoid the whole topic if they will not find out? Or does it show up under my license?

It has been common for people to apply for other jobs while giving directions not to call your current employer because (a) you might not take a new job in the end and (b) fear of retribution. You should probably still list the job and then just say it wasn't a good match.

I agree; it's time to go. You would not be the first person to end up in the wrong job. 

Yikes,

medicine is full of grey areas that are far more delicate then what he is micromanaging on you.

No way he is ever going to allow you to grow as a provider.   I would be applying for jobs.  

Might take very good notes, sounds like sexual harassment (this is the trump card these days as a get out of jail free card for a bad job!)

If you have not signed some credentialing packages it is doubtful you are "in the system yet" but I would still hesitate to leave this off your resume unless you are still in a probationary period.  As well if it is not on you CV it might be considered lying by a large employer.   

Yea I have to go with Vent on this. It isn't uncommon for new grads to change positions before they stick the landing. All of us have had a suck job at one time or another and had to run for our lives. It is explainable in simple professional terms. If you omit it and get caught it will be a problem.

17 hours ago, PAQueen2021 said:

Hi all,

I need some professional advice and wisdom. I started my first job, and the doctor I work for is trying to change who I am and brainwash me. After the first or second week working, he told me my hair was "potent" and told me I needed to use unscented shampoo. Okay fine no problem, I did that. The next week, he said he could still smell me then proceeded to approach me within 1 inch and literally sniff my head since he didn't believe me when I told him I changed shampoos. Then he told me it's my clothes too, I need to go buy fragrance free detergent. Wtf.

He will explain an extremely simple concept, and then say "does that make sense?"...why wouldn't it make sense...he has no faith in my mental capacity.

According to him, I am not allowed to use the word "drastic" as this has a negative connotation, and instead I should use the word "dramatic" as this is much better.

He wants me to use psychology on patients to influence them to be "regulars" at our practice, with emotional way of speaking, echoing, etc. He literally told me he wants me to use psychology on them.

Also, I wore business professional (conservative colors too) the entire time but he sat me down one day after the second week and told me I must not wear black pants as patients will find me untrustworthy. I have to wear navy pants and a white top. But black shoes are required (rolls eyes). Now, according to him, patients will take me seriously. 

He told me I have to speak to the nurses in a way that gives them commands, because "they are here to obey our orders"...the nurses do what I ask of them even when I ask politely. I am new, I am not going to boss around the nurses. 

I also get paid the same rate as a nurse, come to find out, in the state I live in so I feel jipped. I pay $200/month for health insurance, and it does not even include dental. I get 2 weeks off per month, and I had to negotiate that. 

I haven't been here but a couple months but I want to leave desperately, and the field I'm in is very specialized.

He told me what we do is sales, and I have to treat certain patients better than others depending on the money they bring in the practice. I felt sick to my stomach, I can't be a part of this.

You need to be gone , like yesterday! This guy is the nutcase that one hears about!!!

• Thanks 1