Switching careers, where to start

Hi everyone, I’m strongly considering switching careers. Through a long process involving personal growth & talking with friends & family, I feel that being a PA will be a great fit for me. My ultimate career goal would be to work in dermatology, though I am open to other specialties and look forward to exploring that in school. 

My background is in the creative industry, I have a BFA and I’ve been running a design business for the past 8 years. I have next to no pre-requisites to go into a science-based field, so I’m really starting from scratch. My question is, where do I get started? Can I begin by shadowing a PA or two without any prior health experience? Should I look into volunteering before even looking into schools? 

I feel like mine is a more uphill road than for others, but I’d like to know how best to get started so I can plot the course and figure out what it will take to make this work. Thanks an advance for any recommendations!

18 hours ago, ElizabethHM said:

Hi everyone, I’m strongly considering switching careers. Through a long process involving personal growth & talking with friends & family, I feel that being a PA will be a great fit for me. My ultimate career goal would be to work in dermatology, though I am open to other specialties and look forward to exploring that in school. 

My background is in the creative industry, I have a BFA and I’ve been running a design business for the past 8 years. I have next to no pre-requisites to go into a science-based field, so I’m really starting from scratch. My question is, where do I get started? Can I begin by shadowing a PA or two without any prior health experience? Should I look into volunteering before even looking into schools? 

I feel like mine is a more uphill road than for others, but I’d like to know how best to get started so I can plot the course and figure out what it will take to make this work. Thanks an advance for any recommendations!

First of all, congratulations on starting to rethink your present career. Some people have vague senses of feeling uncomfortable about their careers but never do much about it other than say “That’s why they call it work.” Feeling uncomfortable about what you are doing is sometimes the only clue you get that the path you’ve chosen may no longer be right for you. This can save you years of heartache.

Starting from scratch is really not that much of an impediment, but it does mean that taking small steps is an especially good idea before you consider throwing yourself into this. Look for small things you can do that put you into your new "target environment" and see how it might feel without first having to make a big investment of either money or time. Your note doesn’t explain how you decided to consider becoming a PA but talking with a few and shadowing can be a great place to start. That was difficult to do during the pandemic but may be a little easier now. No two PA jobs are exactly the same but seeing what a few do and living a day with them may tell you more than months of thinking about it.

Reading your letter, I see a concern about the prerequisites. A small step you could do here is just decide to take one prerequisite now at a local community college. Taking one class may tell you how you feel about learning and specifically learning in this new (to you) field.

Different PA programs have different guidelines about patient care and healthcare experience. Look for a way to get some; it’s really more for you than for the PA program. You can't really be sure that healthcare is for you until you work with patients who are not having their best day.

This is all doable, but it can take time. You’ve already chosen another path that you are not happy with now so don't be in a rush. Take your time to see what your new career might be like before you jump in with both feet.

Good luck!

Edited by UGoLong