Advice for a Current 1st Year PA Student

Hi everyone! I'm a current first year PA student and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on anything related to classes, planning for the future, career advice? I really want to make the most out of my time as a student and I don't know which specialty I want to do or anything like that, so any advice is much appreciated! Also, any study advice would be awesome! I feel like I'm struggling with learning things as quickly as I need to and don't know how to speed up the pace! Thanks guys!

13 hours ago, moose1 said:

The book 'study without stress, mastering medical sciences' is a great place to start for study strategies. 

This is a good book. Another good one is Teach Yourself How to Learn by McGuire. She talks about the importance of:

1. looking carefully at lecture objectives

2. multiple contacts with the material (pre-reading, paying attention in lecture, summarizing after lecture)

3. forcing yourself to recall the material (flashcards, self-quizzing, studying with a buddy)

Counterintuitively, I have found one of the worst things you can do it re-read and re-read the text over and over again.

• Like 1