I was perusing the internet and noticed that the steaming pile of …baloney known as naturopathy in many states can be licensed as “naturopathic’doctors’”.  PAs, on the other hand,  who are not trained in wackadoodlery, but are trained in evidence based medicine, can’t go to the bathroom without asking permission from their physician overlords.  I’m sure the naturopathic doctors got some blowback but they are licensed to spread their water and snake oil (which may or may not contain snakes and/or oil) Willy nilly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I have the best/worst ND story ever. One of my oldest friends simply lost his memory. Not amnesia but couldn't remember things and it go so bad he had to stop working. He saw a few people who couldn't sort it out and was referred to a (supposed) neurologist who was also a ND.

The guy comes in and asks him a bunch of questions and then opens this big wooden box full of little vials with different unknow substances. He gets out a tuning fork and gives it a whack and holds it against my friends forehead with his left hand while, with his right index finger, touches all the vials one by one. Finally he says something along the line of "aha!" and pulled the vial out of the case and says "you are deficient in (insert name of some obscure metal)" and Offers to sell him a supplement.

Turns out he had a vertebral artery occlusion. Got it fixed and resumed work.

• Haha 4

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, PBuzz said:

All I see is haters on the ND subject. As if your pharmaceutical company funded education is superior to foundational health. You sound ridiculous to denigrate others and prop yourselves up. 

Y’all bring yourselves down just fine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britt_Marie_Hermes

1 hour ago, CAAdmission said:

We are just having a little fun. No need to get your chakras out of alignment. 

It’s okay, just a 1:1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 mixture of wolfsbane to water will really align it. Only costs $750.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I shared a podium once with a ND during a community headache talk. I immediately knew that I was in trouble as I spoke from evidence-based perspective, meaning that we didn't have all the answers and the treatments aren't always clear. On the other hand, she spoke with certainty, "headaches here are always caused by x (diet) and headaches there are always caused by y and the 100% cure is this plan, works for everyone, every time." Of curse, there is no evidence of any of that. But in the public's eye, I was uncertain, complex describer of headaches and treatment, she was the self-assured, 100% confident on grossly over simplified explanations and treatments. I could not complete with made-up information with evidence-based medicine. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

NMD's (ND's) Have FULL prescription rights including controlled substances (They get DEA's just like us).  They have NO supervision requirements and don't have to take the MCAT to be accepted to NMD school.  A NMD is viewed almost the same as an MD/DO from a regulatory stand point.  Many have their own FP clinics and do quite well for themselves $$$ wise.

So I guess before we make too much of them we should at least admire just how much more superior they are than us from a regulatory/independence point of view.

Oh, and they go by "Doctor", not "Assistant".

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, jmj11 said:

I shared a podium once with a ND during a community headache talk. I immediately knew that I was in trouble as I spoke from evidence-based perspective, meaning that we didn't have all the answers and the treatments aren't always clear. On the other hand, she spoke with certainty, "headaches here are always caused by x (diet) and headaches there are always caused by y and the 100% cure is this plan, works for everyone, every time." Of curse, there is no evidence of any of that. But in the public's eye, I was uncertain, complex describer of headaches and treatment, she was the self-assured, 100% confident on grossly over simplified explanations and treatments. I could not complete with made-up information with evidence-based medicine. 

LOL. Like the Facebook ads that say "We have the cure for back pain!" Really......