New Grad Ortho Position

Hello! 

Would like some insight from seasoned PA's on how this contract looks. Will be graduating in August and received my first offer for an Orthopedic Spot in Florida. 

1 or 2 year contract 

Schedule: Monday-Friday 40 hrs weekly, Surgery on Tuesday and Fridays

No weekends or call

Salary: 95k yearly with possible 5-10% yearly bonus based on productivity

3 days paid CME with 1,500 reimbursement

20 PTO days yearly on top of 6 paid holidays

Benefits: medical, eye, dental and 401K with up to 3% match, vested 20% yearly beginning first year

Malpractice insurance with tail coverage

No reimbursement for licensing or DEA

Thank you in advance!

I am not a seasoned PA, but $1500 CME is considered low in today's market. DEA alone I believe is costing around $900; you should negotiate this with them. DEA will be used at work, so your employer should reimburse you for the fees. Pay and schedule look good to me! 

I've been a PA for over 5 years, only in ortho. Overall it sounds like a good gig. The schedule is good, but is it really 40 hours a week? Ortho jobs are often advertised as such but in my first job my OR days were often 12-16 hour days. It's just something to consider. 

I agree with CXPAC about the CME stuff. $3000 per year with 5 days off for conferences is standard and licensing and DEA should be covered, that's also standard. 

The pay is decent for a new grad, though I don't know much about the Southern region. The bonus and 401K stuff is great. The PTO is also good, and pretty standard. 

I hope this helps! If you really like the job, don't let my critiques sway you, but try and negotiate.