Religion in PA Schools

Hey all,

I am not religious - none of my friends or family are religious, its something I forget even exists. I am a huge ally for LGBTQ+ and huge proponent for access to transgender health care. Should I avoid any PA schools with religious association or does PA school remain pretty secular based on the common curriculum? I'm not sure of ways to figure this out too - is it odd to email asking if religion is a big aspect?

Thanks!

A general question and there may be lots of different answers depending on the school.

I teach for a PA program at a Catholic institution and we're big on the training of PAs to work with a diverse population of patients. Likewise the student body has included LGBTQ students.

Is it that big of a deal if you attended a school that has some religious side to it? Being exposed to different ways of thinking helps everyone learn. You don't always have to agree with it and as long as they aren't "picking" on you for different beliefs I don't see it as a problem. But to completely avoid others that have different views than you seems like the wrong way to go.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Post above said it perfectly. I’m the opposite of religious. Christopher Hitchens, Dawkins, Sam Harris-my people. I attended a faith-based program. It can be annoying at times. For example, probably will have at least one religious class, small things here and there like praying before exams, etc. But you will be a better provider for your patients having experienced it, understood it, grown from, and learned from it. On the flip side, you will also inadvertently have the opportunity to teach a lot of people about who you are, your spirituality, religion, lack therof, etc. Spirituality does play a role in medicine. These programs and hospital systems are typically all inclusive, regardless of belief, gender identity, sexuality. At least that’s what I experienced. Point being, wouldn’t actively avoid applying to them. If the opportunity comes, take it.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses! I for years went to Baptist church with a friend when growing up- so I do have a little exposure. 

I currently work with a broad group of religions and sexualities and we care for a high population of LGBTQ kids. My only worry was that choosing a religious college would be that they would not be as accepting. It came to my head when I read a statement from a school that anything outside a relationship with a man and women was against their teachings.

But I’m glad to hear that many of you had good experiences! Thanks for the input- I will not stray away from those and be more open minded. 

Edited by Elsebond

It's probably good to contrast the teaching of the PA school which should and probably emphasizes tolerance for the whole spectrum of people as patients vs what standards they have for students.  I have seen student manuals from some schools that have prohibitions about alcohol use, opposite genders in dorm rooms for on campus housing, etc.  I've not seen anything that explicitly mentioned non-married couples living together (of any combinations).  It's probably worth asking some current students what they feel the environment is.  I have seen faculty manuals that require faculty members to adhere to the ethical and moral beliefs of faith based institutions.

• Thanks 1

If anyone here attends either Charleston Southern University or DeSales University I would love to hear your input on the involvement of their religious affiliations in the classroom, and if overall you had a positive, tolerance experience (especially regarding the lgbtq+ community & women’s health/ reproductive rights)? These are some of my top choices and seeing this I would like to make sure others are having a good experience. Thanks! 

Please feel free to PM instead of reply if you would prefer!