Eastern Virginia Medical School 2021-2022 Cycle

7 hours ago, paramedic2pa22 said:

Hello everyone,

I am currently in EVMS PA program. If you have any questions feel free to ask. 

Hi. Thanks for offering to answer questions. I received my interview invite and noticed in the material that one of the three interviews will be a group interview.  Is this an interview given by a review board or committee?

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten an interview invite so far! I'm a current EVMS student, feel free to ask any questions that you may have. In regards to the interview, the last two cycles were virtual so we did not have a group interview; both interviews we had were one on one (one faculty and one with a community PA). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mxray said:

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten an interview invite so far! I'm a current EVMS student, feel free to ask any questions that you may have. In regards to the interview, the last two cycles were virtual so we did not have a group interview; both interviews we had were one on one (one faculty and one with a community PA). 

In your interview, would you say there was anything that you didn't expect or different that they asked?

2 hours ago, FooturePA said:

In your interview, would you say there was anything that you didn't expect or different that they asked?

We can't go into specifics about what is asked during the interview. I will say it was a very laid back interview and like they were trying to get to know who we are past what is on paper. My biggest advice is to be yourself, know why you want to go to EVMS, and to also have questions for your interviewers. This is the time to make sure this is the program you want to be a part of. 

• Like 1

Just now, mxray said:

We can't go into specifics about what is asked during the interview. I will say it was a very laid back interview and like they were trying to get to know who we are past what is on paper. My biggest advice is to be yourself, know why you want to go to EVMS, and to also have questions for your interviewers. This is the time to make sure this is the program you want to be a part of. 

Understandable. My few interviews have been similar to the laid back idea and I think that helps the committee get to know us.

What is your favorite thing about EVMS that really makes you feel like it's the program for you? From what I've seen the simulator lab looks to be absolutely astounding.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shyanimelover said:

should i be concerned I did not receive an interview. 

They generally send out 3 waves of interview invites, I am not sure how many waves they have sent out at this point. It seems like maybe they are on the second one... I know it's hard to not worry, but I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Edited by mxray

10 hours ago, FooturePA said:

Understandable. My few interviews have been similar to the laid back idea and I think that helps the committee get to know us.

What is your favorite thing about EVMS that really makes you feel like it's the program for you? From what I've seen the simulator lab looks to be absolutely astounding.

8 hours ago, DaynaMarie said:

What is your favorite course and why?

What is the most challenging adjustment you’ve had to make?

Have they shared which elective specialties would be available? 

I am currently in clinicals (finishing up first rotation now).

My favorite things about EVMS are the Sentara Center for Simulation and Immersive Learning (SCSIL), the ultrasound course, and the cadaver lab. I feel like SCSIL really does help prepare you for talking/interacting with patients. You receive feedback on how you make your patients feel and what you can improve on. You learn fundamentals of ultrasound and how to perform certain US procedures. It is nice to have this skill entering rotations. Cadaver lab provided an opportunity to see how everything comes together in the body and helps you understand why certain disease processes present the way they do. These are the main reasons I chose EVMS.

I enjoyed all of our classes but my favorite class was clinical medicine (you learn all the diseases, how they present and how to diagnose/treat them), and medical diagnostics (you learn to read xrays, perform procedures, and read EKGs, etc)

For me personally the most challenging adjustment I had to make was moving away from home and my husband to attend the program. I also had to adjust to how fast paced the program is. While it is fast paced the school does a great job of providing resources to help set you up for success.

We have talked about electives, this is a little tricky for me to talk about since my elective rotations are not in VA. Both of mine are in NC, one was already established and I am setting up the other. When you enter the final semester of didactic there are a lot of meetings in regards to clinicals and how to set up rotations. To my knowledge there is a list of current established elective sites that is available to the class to choose from for your 2 electives. If there is a specialty that you want that is not on the list you have the option to set the rotation up yourself.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! My name is Katie and I am the Head of the Mentorship Committee for the class of 2024. I created a new thread for current applicants where myself and other members of Mentorship Committee can answer questions as best we can. Feel free to ask questions in that thread as well! 

For those of you who were offered an interview - Congratulations and see you in July!

8904616187869656702?url=https%3A%2F%2Fco

Here is a link to our thread 🙂
Edited by katiegaskin
  • Like 2

Last time I applied to EVMS they accidentally gave me an acceptance so I’m a little skeptical about the personal URL and trusting it’ll show me the if I get an interview or not. Do they generally call or email in addition to the personalized URL being updated? 

4 hours ago, acslex104197 said:

Last time I applied to EVMS they accidentally gave me an acceptance so I’m a little skeptical about the personal URL and trusting it’ll show me the if I get an interview or not. Do they generally call or email in addition to the personalized URL being updated? 

When I applied they sent out an email letting you know you had been selected for an interview and updated the PURL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey so I interviewed on 7/14/22! I was so nervous and tense all day I passed out after I got home, and missed the social gathering at the brewery 😕

But I just wanted to share that one of the current students I was talking to while waiting for the interviews mentioned that she saw her acceptance through the PURL about a week before she got her acceptance email.. So I know they said 2-3 weeks for the email, but we should be checking our PURL! She said it just shows up on the home page as like "Congratulations on your acceptance etc". I know it's hard to stay away from the forums and stuff but she recommended checking the PURL once a day about a week after our interviews!!! 

EVMS may not have been my top choice before the interviews.. but I think it is now! I loved the school, the resources, and how much they want you to succeed. The students were just so sweet and nice too and that made me want to be a part of it! 

Good luck everyone, I hope your interviews went well!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Trying not to check constantly because it is the program's first time back in-person interviews in a while, full-day interviews at that. They have a lot to juggle I'm sure. Every interviewee I met and talked with was so nice, I couldn't imagine the selection process especially if many people are so similar and capable. If only we could all get accepted haha. But they were right: it was a huge accomplishment getting an interview and a testament to our hard work. Like someone said, EVMS has the recipe right. I know whoever gets in would be great PA students, classmates, friends, and future PA-Cs!

That is interesting to hear you find out on your pURL first before an email by that much of a margin. We did our best, and now we wait. Im just so honored to have interviewed, been on campus, and seen it all. Proof, motivation, and reinforcement that I chose the right profession to pursue.

• Like 2

I just wanted to take a moment and say it was so nice to meet all of you !!! It truly filled my cup to be able to provide support to you guys ! You are all amazing individuals and EVMS would be lucky to have you! Hope you are all doing well while waiting to hear back ! Take care 🙂 

• Like 7