Eastern Virginia Medical School 2021-2022 Cycle

On 3/19/2022 at 2:24 PM, Rhino134 said:

Hello,

I emailed the PA admissions office because I had yet to receive a confirmation and they emailed back with one. I would suggest you do the same to ensure you met all the requirements 🙂 

Just emailed them. Thanks for replying! I'm a reapplicant to them and usually they sent out confirmation & eligible for review emails quickly after they received your application (given you submitted your app and it was verified before the deadline, which mine was).

19 hours ago, angelicamber said:

Anyone else receive a phone call from them today? I missed their call, and it looks like their office is closed now. Haven’t received any email though. 

Nope. The last thing I got from them was a couple weeks ago an email stating that all of my application materials were accepted. Just awaiting to see if I am selected for an interview but they do not send those out til June I believe. 

2 hours ago, Breezy624 said:

Nope. The last thing I got from them was a couple weeks ago an email stating that all of my application materials were accepted. Just awaiting to see if I am selected for an interview but they do not send those out til June I believe. 

Are you referring to the “Application received” email? I have an email from EVMS about them receiving my application, but I’m still waiting on them to do a initial review of my application to email me saying I’m eligible for interviews.

28 minutes ago, ponds said:

Are you referring to the “Application received” email? I have an email from EVMS about them receiving my application, but I’m still waiting on them to do a initial review of my application to email me saying I’m eligible for interviews.

The last email i received stated that I am eligible for admissions review which is all anyone should have up until this point. They do not send out interview invites until June based on their website. 

12 hours ago, Breezy624 said:

The last email i received stated that I am eligible for admissions review which is all anyone should have up until this point. They do not send out interview invites until June based on their website. 

Ah, okay. I applied to them before so I know about the interview invite expected time. I received the “application received” email stating they received it and will have to undergo an initial review to make sure I am then eligible for admissions review. So I’m waiting on that 2nd email. Congrats and good luck. 

1 hour ago, ponds said:

Ah, okay. I applied to them before so I know about the interview invite expected time. I received the “application received” email stating they received it and will have to undergo an initial review to make sure I am then eligible for admissions review. So I’m waiting on that 2nd email. Congrats and good luck. 

Yeh I think they do that part until May so you should hopefully get another email soon! Thanks and good luck to you as well! 

On 3/22/2022 at 8:46 PM, angelicamber said:

Anyone else receive a phone call from them today? I missed their call, and it looks like their office is closed now. Haven’t received any email though. 

I received a call. It was odd. It was the admissions office saying I expressed interest and asked if I was still interested in applying. And if I was interested in the application process or financial aid information. 

My application was already in, but she said she was the last one to know. I also didn’t express interest anywhere. I just used their website to figure out what I had to do.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I am new to the PA path and that means I will have to start from scratch with my PCE hrs. I'm finishing up a special master's program but my GPA has been a downward trend. Though since these aren't prereqs, would that matter? I plan to retake immunology though since I didn't do well in it for my master's. I had a 3.88 GPA in undergrad, so I am hoping that would at least give me a chance. I saw that EVMS PA school has 3 forms of grades and they take the higher one (in my case, my undergrad GPA). Also, since I have no PCE hrs and plan to work full-time for over a year possibly as a PCT at a dialysis center, would around just shy of 2000 hrs be competitive enough for the program? I see the average and applicants are in the 4000-8000 range in hrs! I just want to be realistic if my 2000 hrs and high undergrad GPA would be enough if I decide to apply in March 2024.

Edited by PhanPA

You have a great gpa, and even though your pce hours will be below average that doesnt mean that you will automatically be rejected. I would definitely apply to multiple schools, make sure you have a killer personal statement, have good letters of rec, and try to get a decent amount of shadowing hours/volunteer hours to offset that. If you don’t get in this year then definitely try and get more pce hours if EVMS is the school you really want to attend. They place emphasis on community work so if you have done work In the community that will look good too.

4 hours ago, Breezy624 said:

You have a great gpa, and even though your pce hours will be below average that doesnt mean that you will automatically be rejected. I would definitely apply to multiple schools, make sure you have a killer personal statement, have good letters of rec, and try to get a decent amount of shadowing hours/volunteer hours to offset that. If you don’t get in this year then definitely try and get more pce hours if EVMS is the school you really want to attend. They place emphasis on community work so if you have done work In the community that will look good too.

Thanks so much for your feedback! I also have a question on how C's and a potential retake in a class will look for EVMS PA school. Again, this happened recently just in this spring semester at a master's level program (that I wished I didn't take lol). How will the CASPA GPA calculate it if EVMS PA goes by the 3 forms of GPA option? Overall, I am nervous since I really want to go here and hope I'll have that chance. You are saying I should aim for higher PCE hours or can that be balanced with additional volunteering? I already have a PA I plan to shadow soon, but is it better to have multiple PAs in different fields to shadow throughout the year? I appreciate your feedback!

I would honestly call the school for that question. Most people probably have at least one C on their transcript or more. I myself have a few but i did a masters program for OT back in 2017 and only got A’s in it. Then I have roughly 5000 pce hours as an OT already so that helps with my average undergrad gpa. My graduate school gpa was a 3.8 though. Anything positive you have to add is a plus but yeh they do emphasize community so that is why I mentioned that volunteer hours are a good thing to have and will only help. 

• Like 1

Also in terms of shadowing pa’s the amount doesnt really matter. They just prefer u to have at least shadowed one or two for a decent amount of hours so they know that you are familiar with the profession. Also if you can get a rec letter from one as that is usually preferred then that is a bonus. I personally shadowed only an ER pa for roughly 200 hours and an infectious disease Np for 40.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 8:19 AM, ponds said:

I’m a 2nd time reapplicant to EVMS, so I’m super nervous haha. I’m from 757, EVMS is my top choice. It’s just perfect: program length, location, accreditation, rotation offerings, and other things I like. I’d really want to practice in the Hampton Roads area, it’s home. Of course I’m preparing for the next cycle but man, anticipation for EVMS is killing me! I stalked these forums wayyyy too much last cycle at the detriment of my mental health a bit haha. But I’m more dedicated and passionate for the profession than before. Good luck to you!

Good luck to you and everyone waiting to hear back! My childhood home was Hampton, Va, but I've live in Richmond now for over a decade and I'm now interested in EVMS PA school! Planning on spending 2 gap years to build up my application and hours. Do you mind telling me what may have been the barrier your first time around applying? I'm nervous as I've never applied to PA school before and currently have 0 hrs. When I finish up my masters, I hope to get a job and rank up over 2000+ hrs, but I'm afraid that's not enough. Does EVMS PA school focus heavily on hrs and can a high uGPA help? Thanks

On 4/24/2022 at 5:19 AM, ponds said:

I’m a 2nd time reapplicant to EVMS, so I’m super nervous haha. I’m from 757, EVMS is my top choice. It’s just perfect: program length, location, accreditation, rotation offerings, and other things I like. I’d really want to practice in the Hampton Roads area, it’s home. Of course I’m preparing for the next cycle but man, anticipation for EVMS is killing me! I stalked these forums wayyyy too much last cycle at the detriment of my mental health a bit haha. But I’m more dedicated and passionate for the profession than before. Good luck to you!

Thank you! Same to you!!! And yes! The anticipation is no fun!!! I’m praying i get in!! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, patobe82 said:

Yes!! Let this be our year!!!! You applied last cycle right? Your user name sounds familiar. 

I did not! Well technically yes but i didn’t complete it because i never completed Casper 😬😬😅😅 but this is my first year as application under review!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Reading this thread has me so excited. I have only been accepted to one program which is pending provisional accreditation. The meeting when I’ll find out for that program around June 23rd I believe. So I have been patiently waiting for June 2022 for quite some time!! I really would love to go to EVMS and I genuinely hope we all get the opportunity to interview!! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nmillerpa74 said:

Reading this thread has me so excited. I have only been accepted to one program which is pending provisional accreditation. The meeting when I’ll find out for that program around June 23rd I believe. So I have been patiently waiting for June 2022 for quite some time!! I really would love to go to EVMS and I genuinely hope we all get the opportunity to interview!! 

That's awesome you have an acceptance elsewhere! I feel the same way, I read last years forum today as well and it got me so excited to see what will happen over the next few weeks. Fingers crossed we all get an interview! 

• Like 1