questions on requirements

I am considering taking a major career change. I am about to have a Phd in plant biology. Over the last 3 years I have grown to HATE research. I love science and I enjoy learning but I felt like what I was doing was not important anymore (even I can't really tell you how what I have discovered can help humanity! I get papers out of it! yay! <sarcasm>) But I felt like I was stuck and had nowhere else to go, and friends and family helped me "hang on". Even though my husband was supportive of me quitting back then--I was stubborn and refused to look like a failure!! So here I am, possibly months away from completing my dissertation and instead I feel like I have made the biggest mistake of my life. I do not want to be a professor (I have realized this 2 yrs ago but refused to see it!). Yes, there are other options, but honestly its like I am graduating and I am not looking forward to anything. People have tried to convince me but I am not burned out by the PhD, I have felt this for 3 years and was a coward for not quitting!

My husband is a doctor, and through him I rediscovered my passion for medicine and taking care of people. I can't go through the long story of how I did not end up in medschool in the first place, but that I considered it but it did not financially work out for my family. If I could do it all over again, I would go into medical school. I would, but we are in our early 30's and want to start a family soon and he knows the hell that I would have to go through with 4 yrs of medical school and 3-4 yrs of residency. I have met his PA friends or coworkers with and I have considered this possibility instead of medschool. I have talked to them and "know" the differences but ofcourse I have yet to shadow for them at some point.

Sorry for the long intro (just wanted to explain because I feel like I will be in this forum for a long while as I prepare). Basically my question is related to pre-reqs. Since I have a science/biology/genetics background I have most of the pre-reqs except for A&P, medical term and organic chem. However, some of the basic science courses (ex. Gen Chem, Biochem, Genetic, Microbiology, etc) were taken back in undergrad some 8-10 yrs ago! I have some advanced science/biology/biochem classes in gradschool but not sure if those counts. I took my stats in grad school as well. I just started mapping out taking my pre-reqs for 2013 which I am considering my prep year to see if I can apply for 2014/15. Luckily, the program I am applying to does not have a "high" requirement for HCE, and I have plans of working as an MA in my husbands practice and shadowing through his PA friends next year. Besides my question on the my "old" undergrads classed being considered, any other advise to help me prepare?

• Administrator

Call the program. If you need A&P and OChem, and ace 'em, that *should* be enough (well, that and the Ph.D.) to convince many Adcoms that you're legit. Oh, and if you're a few months away? FINISH IT. You will forever be "Doctor..." and even if you don't call yourself that in clinical practice, you won't actually have to say "I'm not a doctor..." EVER. You'll just have to say "I'm not a physician..." instead. :-)

But yeah, I think the only way a couple should BOTH go through residency would be childless and together--two residencies, staggered in time? Yuck. Or with kids in the mix? Double yuck.

Thank you! I should be done with the Phd by Dec. I would have quit but I realize maybe that will be a negative when the program finds out. I am a little worried because geographically I have ONE program I can apply to, and even that is 1 hr away :( I can manage, I already am driving 1 hr each way to the university (and I hate what I do!). We may get a studio close by for when I get too tired to drive home. So I really wanted to make sure I get my stuff in a very competitive level to make sure I get in the first time. I will get in touch with the program and try to make it to one of their "open house".

Archived