Is this a fatal interview mistake?

Hi all, 

I recently had my second PA school interview for this cycle. As I reflect on my interview, I realize I might have made a huge mistake, because I address my interviewers by their first name instead asking them what they would prefer. I was nervous and one thing I kept reminding myself is to thank the interviewers by their name before exiting the room. 

This interview is MMI style, so I am not sure how much this mistake will weigh in my interview.

Thoughts? Any advice would be much appreciated. 

13 hours ago, CXPAC said:

I honestly do not think that is a big deal. I think there were way more important things that they needed to pay attention to that they probably did not even notice that. 

While I agree that it may not be a huge issue, I can guarantee that is was noticed, albeit a minor faux pas.  While there are many things that go into admission decisions, consider your professional demeanor for the entire interview process and not just one solitary encounter.  

16 hours ago, UGoLong said:

Not fatal but a little presumptuous maybe. Next time you might call them "professor" so-and-so unless or until they tell you to call them "Bill" or whatever.

Thank you for your advice! Yes, for future reference, I will definitely address them by their last name first unless they correct me. Learning about all that I can improve for my next interview(s).

46 minutes ago, kyoung1 said:

While I agree that it may not be a huge issue, I can guarantee that is was noticed, albeit a minor faux pas.  While there are many things that go into admission decisions, consider your professional demeanor for the entire interview process and not just one solitary encounter.  

Thank you for your comment. I agree it's definitely a mistake on my part, and being nervous alone isn't the best excuse. I really do hope that if adcom did notice that, they will give me some grace :P. I really do strive to be as professional, polite, and kind as possible knowing those are some of the important attributes as a future PA. I will definitely learn from my mistakes and hope for a much-improved performance for my other interviews. Thank you again!

14 hours ago, CXPAC said:

I honestly do not think that is a big deal. I think there were way more important things that they needed to pay attention to that they probably did not even notice that. 

Thank you for helping calm my nerve. I know this is a mistake I definitely do not want to make in the future, and I do hope they see my attributes/characteristics beyond this mistake. 

Hey! It might seem like a big mistake in your head right now, but honestly there is no reason to beat yourself up for it! We all makes mistakes or say/do things we wish we hadn't in our interviews because it is extremely nerve wracking! I would just try to shake it off and send a follow up email to thank the program for the interview, and in that email just address whomever you send it to by the correct title! That way if they see that they will know that you know how you should be addressing them! Honestly though, we all make mistakes in our interviews and either way you just have to move on because I'm sure you won't give this a second thought five years from now when you're a PA!! 🙂 

PS In one of my interviews the interviewer asked me what my best attribute is and I said that I'm easy to talk to, which is FINE. BUT THEN I proceeded to tell the interviewer that I got the guy at the burger king drive thru to open up to me as an example haha! 

Best of luck to you, you got this!

It depends on how they introduced themselves. If someone introduced himself as "Mr. Smith" and you said "Dave" then that (as others have noted) is presumptuous and was definitely noticed, but if everything else was great, probably won't be the deciding factor. If he (or whomever) was introduced by a first name, then it's safe to assume that's what you are expected to call them.