Sole Provider Locums Urology Position - Negotiating Pay

I need some input on what to ask for with a potential locums urology clinic position where I would be working independently as sole provider.

I have 3 yrs urology experience, currently practicing PRN as a hospitalist PA. 6yrs experience total and I am a full-time PA educator.

The locums company revealed that the position is approximately 3 hours from where I live, and that there are few Urology PAs in the state that have experience, and the surgeons are spread quite thin. They felt the practice would take any availability I had to offer. They would pay mileage or provide a rental car, and provide a hotel.

In a follow-up email they sent me a rate of $70/hr and $80/hr overtime, which is not enough in my opinion given the driving time and demand for my skill set and in view of my current pay as a hospitalist PA. I do miss practicing urology, however.

I am hoping to do some market research to figure out what is reasonable prior to acknowledging the proposition and interviewing with the practice.

Any input appreciated!

Edited by azucardulce
  • Upvote 1

• azucardulce changed the title to Sole Provider Locums Urology Position - Negotiating Pay