Dismissed from US MD school. How does this affect my application?

Hi,

Looking for some guidance on this thread. I was dismissed from a US MD school last year for academic performance. I was a second year medical student who failed two courses infectious disease and neurology and did not pass the makeup exams which led to my dismissal from medical school. I am also in the appeal process of trying to get readmitted for the class this fall to repeat the second year of medical school. I realize there are no guarantees. I was advised to get a lawyer or switch professions entirely. 

I am strongly considering pursuing different careers in healthcare such as AA and PA. How badly does a dismissal from a US MD school impact my application to these other professions? I notice there are questions on the application about this matter as well as reporting of transcripts….

Depends on the reason for your failing those classes.  It will likely be looked on more favorably if there was an acute life event leading to not passing...although I would expect a LOT of questions about why you are now pursuing PA rather than reattempting MD school.

I imagine most ADCOMs aren't going to look kindly on being pursued as a backup career so be prepared to explain why you want to be a PA rather than an MD.

What if it was due to COVID? I was in a difficult financial and family situation and a family member was sick during the time i had to take these makeup exams. The family member recovered and is alive and well. 

As for why I want to become a PA, could I explain that I enjoy the lateral mobility associated with the profession while practicing medicine and the ability to get second hand expert opinions on my diagnoses. 

Please advise. 

If family or health problems were the issue, be prepared to answer why did you only fail two courses, and why did you not speak to your advisor and request a leave of absence? I agree with MediMike that most programs will not be happy with you viewing PA school as your plan b to failing out of med school. And yes they will know because you are required (and have to sign an attestation) to send transcripts from every school you have attended. You will also need to explain why you were a second year and now you want to be a PA.

It was almost the end of the year when my family member got sick and I could only request a leave of absence at the end of the semester. Thus, I failed these two courses and the exams associated with them.

I was a second year med student when I realized that medical school was not the right fit for me given my interest to dabble in various specialties of medicine. Being a PA allows me to have this lateral mobility while practicing various fields of medicine. 

I think if you have a valid reason and your academic background prior to these failure shows you were a stellar student and that this period in your life was an anomaly and not the norm, ADCOMs may look past this hiccup and invite you to interview. I know some folks who were physicians in other countries who moved to the US and became PAs, so anything is possible.

Thank you. My academic record is otherwise stellar. I have a 3.86 gpa overall and a 3.83 science gpa with an extensive science background, clinical experience including research in anesthesiology. Due to this problem, how many pa programs do you estimate should I apply to? I already have 30 on my list….

Impression from the other side of the aisle here:

1. It looks like you're grasping onto the PA profession as a bailout, not because you're truly interested in the field. You chose med school over PA school (which means you prefer being a physician). I'd find it hard to believe that anyone who enters med school thinks they'll be able to vacillate between different aspects of medicine during their career. Plus, you're choosing PA school stems from being dismissed from med school, not because you voluntarily withdrew to seek entry into PA school.

2. You failed two courses but didn't mention what happened in your other courses during the timeframe (which implies you didn't fail them). The argument that you were distressed about a family member w/ COVID starts to buckle if you passed your other courses. In addition, financial struggles don't often gain much traction because a majority of students in med/PA school have to juggle finances.

TLDR - I don't see you gaining much from applying to PA school after being dismissed from med school (although admittedly there are outliers). Schools have plenty of applicants who don't have a significant mark on their record, especially one that is directly related to advanced education in medicine.

• Like 1

Hi,  I really think your should fight to continued in MS, I am sure it took lots of hard work and sacrifice to be admitted, and there are lots of out of control things that had happen to all of us in the last year due to Covid-19. Being a PA is not ideal anymore because of the reasons you already know, lack of independence and preference for NP that can do the same job without liability, if I was in your shoes just appeal the chances you will be given a second chance are high, I know some people with the same problem that were able to cont. and graduate. You will regret it if you don't ...

11 hours ago, phuynh3826 said:

What if it was due to COVID? I was in a difficult financial and family situation and a family member was sick during the time i had to take these makeup exams. The family member recovered and is alive and well. 

As for why I want to become a PA, could I explain that I enjoy the lateral mobility associated with the profession while practicing medicine and the ability to get second hand expert opinions on my diagnoses. 

Please advise. 

image.gif.3bbfb2c4eecf088950bc3bac7ed2c337.gif

I’ve heard the sick family member excuse, a lot, and the second part is a very MD answer. It would be a no from me.

if you go for it, good luck to you, but I’m not gonna help prep. I feel for you, I really do, whether or not the dismissal comes extenuating circumstances or aptitude. It’s a tough situation no one deserves. 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 4:55 AM, phuynh3826 said:

1) As for why I want to become a PA, could I explain that I enjoy the lateral mobility associated with the profession while practicing medicine

2) and the ability to get second hand expert opinions on my diagnoses. 

1) Cringy

2) “Second-hand” Yikes. This makes me think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a PA does. Also, do MD’s not have this ability…?

Edited by ANESMCR
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread, but OP when I was in undergrad I heard about a master's student who ended up failing out of an overseas med school and she ended up going to the PA program in my school. She excelled at it and she works as a PA now. She seemed satisfied with her choice. However, I really do think that you doing bad in med school is just due to circumstances in your life. I think you're smart and capable and if being a doctor is your passion then go for it! Good luck with everything!