How are most PAs paid?

Neighborhood NP here!

I've noticed a trend for NPs of being paid by patient. My current position is pay per patient, and I kind of prefer it as I can basically choose my own productivity model and make more or less based on that. I haven't seen many PA positions like this, as it seems PA is always hourly our salary. How are most of you paid?

Also, if anyone is paid her patient what would you "target" as a per patient pay rate?

1 hour ago, rev ronin said:

Too many PAs are paid straight salary, which puts them at the whim of admin, who are motivated to pile more work on, because hey, why not?

Some PAs are paid hourly.

I don't know of any PAs outside of telemedicine or contract physicals who get paid by patient.

Fascinating to me. I wonder why the move to pay per patient/billing percentage for NPs lately? I absolutely love it, because it keeps me from being "overworked" and not being compensated fairly for it.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

Fascinating to me. I wonder why the move to pay per patient/billing percentage for NPs lately? I absolutely love it, because it keeps me from being "overworked" and not being compensated fairly for it.

I have no direct knowledge, but I'd suspect it's because nurses are more used to being unionized (and hence negotiating fair working conditions) than PAs.

I worked on a per-patient basis for several years. I was fortunate to be in a fairly small private practice. I sat down with the doc/owner and calculated the average reimbursement per patient and the overhead (very little because it was mostly nursing home work) and I charged 65% of the net. We settled on a flat rate per patient regardless of the level billed so we could avoid any fee-splitting issues.