I saw my last patient today.

I saw my last patient as a PA this afternoon. It wasn't anything special just a routine one year follow up. The feeling I had was as a similar feeling I experienced when I saw my last patient as a PA student. It's an odd feeling that words don't describe all too well. I had a feeling of sadness and excitement at the same time. This was simply a chapter ending in my life and a new one was about to start. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time practicing as a PA. I had made fantastic relationships with patients and had the privilege to be able to treat. I also formed very close relationships with all the staff in my office. These are all things I had to walk away from in order to go to medical school. 

Wanting to attend medical school was not a switch that turned on overnight. It is something I struggled with throughout my time in PA school. After spending hours scouring PA forum, reddit, and discussion with peers I had come to conclusion that it as something I wanted to do. I poured over MCAT material one week after taking the PANCE. I juggled taking prerequisite courses and working full time with call days. It has been a long year of applications and when I was just beginning to lose hope and start my reapplication I finally received my first and only acceptance. I was over the moon. I had finally done it, everything I had worked for had paid off. 

I wouldn't change my journey to medical school at all. For me, it took being a PA for me to fully realize that this was what I wanted in life. I will forever be thankful to my first career as a PA. I have learned invaluable skills in patient care and the dynamic of a healthcare team. I hope to continue to be an active member of this forum, even more active than I have been the past year, and to continue to be an advocate for PAs. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

I wish you well.  I am retired but often thought of going to medical school.  It just wasn't in the cards for me and I had a great PA career as my second career.  Now I'm pursuing art as my career and life is sweet.

Thanks for being an advocate for PAs as you will probably have to quell lots of misinformation about us while in med school.  Blessings to you!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Incognito said:

I wish you well.  I am retired but often thought of going to medical school.  It just wasn't in the cards for me and I had a great PA career as my second career.  Now I'm pursuing art as my career and life is sweet.

Thanks for being an advocate for PAs as you will probably have to quell lots of misinformation about us while in med school.  Blessings to you!

Enjoy the retirement life. 

I’ve had a few conversations with my classmates already about PAs and they seemed receptive. My program has an accompanying PA program. If it isn’t implemented already I hope to advocate for interprofessional training/ classes for the med and PA students

• Like 1

Congrats!!

even at 52 I would consider some type of condensed online med school if it ever came to be..... but not another 6 years of training to do what I already do....  750k in lost income plus 300k in loans is a million dollar loss to do the same job....)

Please consider being and advocate for P Associates!!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ventana said:

Congrats!!

even at 52 I would consider some type of condensed online med school if it ever came to be..... but not another 6 years of training to do what I already do....  750k in lost income plus 300k in loans is a million dollar loss to do the same job....)

Please consider being and advocate for P Associates!!

Thank you! 

I love the reaction of some of my friends when I tell them I do not get any less schooling because of my PA background. The loss of income is something my spouse and I have discussed many of times but given my age + their job we will quickly make up for it.