2021-2022 LHU Application Cycle

Hi everyone,

Received my acceptance 8/20 from the 8/16 interview, but ultimately gave my spot up today as I committed to a different program. I go to Lock Haven as an undergrad currently, and I haven't heard good things about clinical rotations. Lots of students having to do online rotations, not hearing where their rotations will be, or if they will have rotations at all.

16 minutes ago, kaysabrina said:

Hi everyone,

Received my acceptance 8/20 from the 8/16 interview, but ultimately gave my spot up today as I committed to a different program. I go to Lock Haven as an undergrad currently, and I haven't heard good things about clinical rotations. Lots of students having to do online rotations, not hearing where their rotations will be, or if they will have rotations at all.

Is this something that happens every year? I asked if there were plenty of clinical sites during the Q&A portion of the interview and the one second year student made it sound like it wasn't really an issue for her class.

1 hour ago, kaysabrina said:

Hi everyone,

are the online rotations a result of covid or have they been doing that for a while now?

On 8/20/2021 at 9:28 AM, prepaTracy said:

i know they had this last year, but was the essay portion stressful? do you feel you had enough time to answer?

Hey just saw this sorry! But yes plenty of time. I was able to think about what I wanted to say, review it, and have time just to sit and relax before the interview portion😁

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, previous Lock Haven student here. As mentioned in this thread, if you would like to go to a school with clinical rotations, do not go here. They do not have enough rotation to accommodate all of the students they accept. There are currently students who should have graduated in May of 2021 still in the program because they did not have enough clinical sites to get them to graduate on time. I have friends who have sat at home for MONTHS without a word from the program about a rotation for them. The faculty is rude and when you express your problems to them your emails will go ignored. The issue is not due to COVID considering this is the only PA program in the state without rotations for their students. They have even admitted to students that they just simply do not have enough preceptors to accommodate students. You must remember that the longer it takes for you to graduate, the more debt you accrue and the longer you go without a pay check. Please reconsider your decision if you would like a quality education and to protect yourself financially. It was terrifying being a student at a program and not knowing when you would be done school (it could have been an extra month or an extra year).

• Sad 1

Hey everyone! I am currently i first year student in the class of 2023. So as you’ve seen a couple people discussing the lack of clinical rotations. I have many friends from the class of 2021 and in the class of 2022. LHUs mission is to treat underserved populations and with that being said about half of their clinical sites are located in rural areas within Pennsylvania and they also had others in more suburban areas. However, once covid hit they lost a lot of the more suburban ones due to sites prioritizing city schools. Obviously this affected the class of 2021 a lot. HOWEVER. I will say the class of 2022 has had a much smoother process! I am friends with a bunch of students and every single one of them has had 3 rotations so far and they know their entire rotation schedule up until May with the exception of maybe one rotation that still needs set up. Also, they have been allowing students to work with a preceptor they know if they are able to find someone to accept them. With all of that being said. I honestly believe my class of 2023 will not have the issues the previous two classes have had, and the class of 2024 will definitely not have issues. Please don’t let the previous comments scare you. It is a great school to be at and all the professors are trying their best with clinical sites! Good luck with interviews everyone 🙂

I just interviewed here and asked my interviewer about the rotation issue point blank. The gist was:

1. COVID presented challenges, yet all but 3 students graduated on time.

2. The students who have not graduated yet were held back for "unrelated reasons"

3. They obviously want to protect the privacy of the 3 students in question, but I get the sense there was some sort of academic issue and/or dispute with the faculty, not a rotation issue.

Obviously the previous commenters may disagree with me, but I encourage anyone here to not give up on the school based on what some anonymous commenters have said. The fact remains graduates from this school WILL have a job at the end of it and ARC-PA reviewed the issue and have not revoked their accreditation which to me, is all that really matters. 

• Like 2

I interviewed here recently, and I was hesitant to due to these posts, however the staff and faculty are so inviting and nice. The current students as well had nothing but good things to say about the campuses, but they were really honest about some not so great things as well (nothing to do with rotations). They have clinical sites all over the U.S. and it does not seem to be an issue anymore. I would also just say keep an open mind and don't pass on it JUST because there were some students with bad experiences, that will be at every school. Really see if you like it and if you see yourself with the faculty and the campuses! Good luck to all!

On 9/13/2021 at 7:42 AM, FuturePA1414 said:

Hey everyone! I am currently i first year student in the class of 2023. So as you’ve seen a couple people discussing the lack of clinical rotations. I have many friends from the class of 2021 and in the class of 2022. LHUs mission is to treat underserved populations and with that being said about half of their clinical sites are located in rural areas within Pennsylvania and they also had others in more suburban areas. However, once covid hit they lost a lot of the more suburban ones due to sites prioritizing city schools. Obviously this affected the class of 2021 a lot. HOWEVER. I will say the class of 2022 has had a much smoother process! I am friends with a bunch of students and every single one of them has had 3 rotations so far and they know their entire rotation schedule up until May with the exception of maybe one rotation that still needs set up. Also, they have been allowing students to work with a preceptor they know if they are able to find someone to accept them. With all of that being said. I honestly believe my class of 2023 will not have the issues the previous two classes have had, and the class of 2024 will definitely not have issues. Please don’t let the previous comments scare you. It is a great school to be at and all the professors are trying their best with clinical sites! Good luck with interviews everyone 🙂

Thank you so much for your input. As this is my only acceptance so far it’s very reassuring to hear something positive:)

Hi everyone, figured I would chime in as well as current didactic student at LHU. Although the rotations issue has also been a concern, I am confident in the school that they want what is best for the students, and I believe they are working very hard to set students up for success and to graduate on time. Although challenging, I love the program and the faculty, and feel like I am getting an amazing education here. I loved the professors at the interview, and they are just as welcoming and helpful in classes. If anyone has any questions, feel free to DM me but I had other options for PA school and have 0 regrets choosing this program! 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GatorPA21 said:

Hi everyone, figured I would chime in as well as current didactic student at LHU. Although the rotations issue has also been a concern, I am confident in the school that they want what is best for the students, and I believe they are working very hard to set students up for success and to graduate on time. Although challenging, I love the program and the faculty, and feel like I am getting an amazing education here. I loved the professors at the interview, and they are just as welcoming and helpful in classes. If anyone has any questions, feel free to DM me but I had other options for PA school and have 0 regrets choosing this program! 

I mirror exactly what is being said here. Current S1 in the Harrisburg campus here and loving it. The faculty is great and I think their selection process is second to none as our cohort is incredible. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, yoknell said:

I mirror exactly what is being said here. Current S1 in the Harrisburg campus here and loving it. The faculty is great and I think their selection process is second to none as our cohort is incredible. 

8 hours ago, GatorPA21 said:

Thank you so much for adding your thoughts on the situation. I left my interview with such a positive impression of the program that, despite the posts about the clinical rotation issue, I didn't hesitate to accept the offer of admission when it came. Your comments made me feel confident that my intuition was correct and that I made the right choice. May can't come soon enough.  

Edited by Eminem9

6 hours ago, yoknell said:

is that THE yoknell?? 

If anyone is worried about being at a certain campus, I promise you can also make friends at the other campuses!

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2021 at 11:08 AM, Gabrielle2021 said:

How long did it take to hear of acceptance/waitlist/reject after the interview? Congrats to those accepted! How was the interview setup? I hear that different schools ask different questions, but wondering what their setup or preferred type of questions were.

i heard back after a week! it’s a traditional interview where they want to know who you are as a person and why you want this career