How to stop the nerves about getting a job

I have had 2 interviews in the last two weeks. The first was thoracic surgery (clinic only) and the second was a hospitalist position. The first went well I thought. I was told I was the first interview, so I won't know anything until the end of this week or next week. All the surgeons returned my thank you emails, though, which I thought was nice.

However, the second this past Tuesday did not go so well, I thought. I was given a written assessment in addition to 2 hours of interviews. Mind you, I have never written hospital orders. I did not have an inpatient IM rotation. I got a lot of it correct, esp the most important things so I didn't kill the pt, but missed several things. I felt so stupid. The chief PA conducting the interview made it clear that the written assessment doesn't make or break anything, that it gives them a sense of what type of training to conduct. But since that time, I'm having almost a continuous sense of panic, that I won't get either job, or any job. My heart is continuously racing. Many years ago, I had panic attacks and I know this is a mild form of it. But I cannot get this under control. And if I don't get either job, I have to keep interviewing, which scares the heck out of me. I would be very happy with either of these positions as they're both great jobs with excellent pay/benefits. But I keep having these negative thoughts about it. I am letting my nerves get the best of me and I fear that should I need to interview more, it's going to keep getting worse.

How can I calm down during this waiting game? And, should I need to interview more, how can I have faith in myself that I can do the job? As it goes on, my self-confidence is getting lower and lower. Thanks.

Sheryl

Hi,

I can't speak for PA job interviews, but I can as far as job hunting/interviewing in general. Some anxiety after interviewing is pretty typical IMO, but not what you are describing. Since you have a history of anxiety attacks, I have to wonder if you are taking any medication...

Regardless, anxiety while job hunting can definitely have a snowball effect. You "might" become more self-conscious about your performance after every additional interview; since you are aware of your current anxiety levels. So I would hold off on more interviews for now. However, if you can get this anxiety under control, I would definitely keep looking just in case. It sounds like you need the job more than you want it. Something to reflect on. Figure out if you're stressing out about not getting the job that you really want, or whether it is because you need a job asap...this might help put things into perspective. Also, I would try to engage in physical activity for the time being, running is my personal favorite way to decompress :D

Not sure if this helps at all, but good luck to you!!

Hi,

I can't speak for PA job interviews, but I can as far as job hunting/interviewing in general. Some anxiety after interviewing is pretty typical IMO, but not what you are describing. Since you have a history of anxiety attacks, I have to wonder if you are taking any medication...

Regardless, anxiety while job hunting can definitely have a snowball effect. You "might" become more self-conscious about your performance after every additional interview; since you are aware of your current anxiety levels. So I would hold off on more interviews for now. However, if you can get this anxiety under control, I would definitely keep looking just in case. It sounds like you need the job more than you want it. Something to reflect on. Figure out if you're stressing out about not getting the job that you really want, or whether it is because you need a job asap...this might help put things into perspective. Also, I would try to engage in physical activity for the time being, running is my personal favorite way to decompress :D

Not sure if this helps at all, but good luck to you!!

Thank you for your input. I agree about the "snowball effect." That is what I'm afraid of. And, yes, I NEED a job, which is what makes this so incredibly hard for me. My husband has contract work only, so no benefits. I need a job with benefits. I have actually turned down a couple interviews because I didn't think they were a good fit for me, so I'm not so desperate as to work at a place that I didn't think a good fit. But both of these jobs I interviewed for are great positions that pay really, really well (over $100K to start, surprisingly). Plus I have friends in both positions who love their jobs, so I know what to expect. What I'm really afraid of is getting a job like that of my best friend, who hates her job. She's to the point where she's wondering why she even went to PA school.

And, no, I take no meds for anxiety anymore. I am usually able to overcome the panic with deep breathing and meditation.

I think you are on to something about physical activity, though. I need to incorporate more into my life.

Well, I have heard from one of the jobs! The dept head of thoracic surgery called me yesterday to offer me the job! :) I haven't heard from the other job yet, but think I'm going to take this first one anyway. I know it pays more and my husband convinced me that days are better than afternoons with kids. He said they would have me home consistently every night and on the weekends. I was thinking working afternoons was better because I'd get to see them a lot of the day. But he made a good point that I would be exhausted after working until 1:30 a.m. and not getting in bed until 3:00 a.m. or so. He's right. Now we just have to figure out if he should not work or if they should go to daycare...such a tough decision.

Archived