Osteopathic PA program with a global track?

I went to PA school at an Osteopathic medical school, and although we were tightly intertwined, we did absolutely nothing with osteopathic manipulation. It's not a part of the PA curriculum, and I would be surprised if there's another osteo-associated PA program that did OMM.

Our program did have global health rotations available, but I don't know about currently

I don't know anything about international rotations, but I don't think the PA schools are necessarily that interconnected with the MD/DO schools with which they have any affiliation. A friend of mine graduated from NYIT, and shared facilities with NYCOM (the DO school), but there was no real relation between the two. The PA curriculum didn't include OMM, and seemed to be a stand-alone "standard" PA program.

I completed my undergraduate degree at Stony Brook, where the PA program and MD program didn't seem to have much overlap. I don't know how it works at other schools, but I think you need to do your research when it comes to holistic programs.

Thanks, could you tell me what school that was and I'll check into it.

I'm less concerned with manipulation than a somewhat holistic mindset, that the body and mind are connected. Thoughts?

UNT in Fort Worth, TX

As far as a "holistic" approach goes....I feel that that term gets thrown around quite a bit when it comes to osteopathic practice. There might be a class here and there in an osteopathic program that might go into "embracing the whole patient", but all that really means is that you consider more than just a single physical organ system when treating patients. However, this is what we ALL do- you can't treat patients properly without considering them as a whole. They're not taking out their heart and putting it in a sterile box to bring to you like a plant....it's a part of them, and we all recognize that to treat a heart condition must incorporate the "whole patient". Whether allopathic or osteopathic....PA or medical school....it's all seen the same way. An osteopathic school is medical school, pure and simple, just with added OMM. Osteopathic physicians don't practice any more "holistically" than allopathic physicians, with the exception that someone who is comfortable doing OMM might try it as a treatment adjunct.

With all that said....if you're truly looking for a practice that allows for "mind-body healing", check out naturopathic doctor schools.

Archived