2021-2022 Applicants Class of 2024

On 6/24/2021 at 12:54 AM, danii97 said:

For those that submitted the supplemental, were there any essay questions? My CASPA was verified on 6/21 and I'm already getting started on essays for other programs, so I'd like to give myself enough time for Nova's just in case. 

Is there essay on the supplemental?

• 3 months later...
On 8/23/2022 at 7:27 PM, FuturePA310 said:

hey guys! To everyone who was accepted / interviewed last cycle, what was the interview format? 

We had Zoom interviews last year. It was a half day, you were interviewed with 6-10 other applicants. There was an intro session with several professors (like 4-5), then 2 or 3 group activities (they give you a question re ethical decision-making  to answer as a small group). Then they give you 2-3 written questions to submit individually. Lastly they put you all in a break room and pull you for a 20-30 min individual interview. You can (and should) ask questions then. 

I would not underestimate asking questions. Having 2-3 good questions like "What made you decide to teach at NSU?" can give you a lot of insight to the faculty's motivations and helps them see your interest. 

4 hours ago, billdwebster said:

We had Zoom interviews last year. It was a half day, you were interviewed with 6-10 other applicants. There was an intro session with several professors (like 4-5), then 2 or 3 group activities (they give you a question re ethical decision-making  to answer as a small group). Then they give you 2-3 written questions to submit individually. Lastly they put you all in a break room and pull you for a 20-30 min individual interview. You can (and should) ask questions then. 

I would not underestimate asking questions. Having 2-3 good questions like "What made you decide to teach at NSU?" can give you a lot of insight to the faculty's motivations and helps them see your interest. 

Was this also the Orlando format? Is the group discussion actually a group interview?

On 9/3/2022 at 11:55 AM, billdwebster said:

I did not interview at Orlando so not sure... but yes you can assume they are observing your interaction with potential future students in the group discussions. 

Thanks for the response. I was also wondering what the grad projects are about and what the elective during clinical year is?

6 hours ago, FutPA22 said:

Thanks for the response. I was also wondering what the grad projects are about and what the elective during clinical year is?

Grad projects are a variety of projects such as group research assignments, group community outreach, and individual research. The clinical year consists of 8 mandatory 6-week rotations, then one 4-week elective rotation which is often a focused elective on the field you wish to enter as a PA-C. Each student identifies the elective they wish to pursue and works with the advisors to be placed in their elective rotation (often a repeat of one of the mandatory rotations). 

On 9/6/2022 at 8:46 PM, billdwebster said:

Grad projects are a variety of projects such as group research assignments, group community outreach, and individual research. The clinical year consists of 8 mandatory 6-week rotations, then one 4-week elective rotation which is often a focused elective on the field you wish to enter as a PA-C. Each student identifies the elective they wish to pursue and works with the advisors to be placed in their elective rotation (often a repeat of one of the mandatory rotations). 

Are electives and selectives the same thing? I saw the selectives are mentioned as being a rotation you choose,  but there is no description of electives.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 2:49 PM, FutPA22 said:

Are electives and selectives the same thing? I saw the selectives are mentioned as being a rotation you choose,  but there is no description of electives.

Good question: electives and selectives may not be the same thing. The NSU Orlando campus has "selectives" - I'm not exactly certain what those are. "Electives" are rotations you can choose from among an established set of preceptors we have. For example, you might not do a Neurosurgery rotation in the general rotations, but you can choose to do that as your elective.