Future Career

Ever since I was younger, I have always said that I wanted to be a doctor. Not because I have an interest in the sciences, but because I wanted to help people. Looking back at my years of high school, I have never really been interested in science unless it was anatomy/physiology or had to do with the body. I have always said that I was interested in the sciences though because I thought that's how doctors were supposed to act. Having just graduated this past June, I'm considering careers. When I first learned of the PA profession, I was interested because I feel like it would suit my personality better than a physician would. PAs seem to be more focused on the patient than on the science behind it all. I know they know the science, but it seems like they focus on patients instead of additional research etc. I think that this would be a good fit for me.*

I do have some questions though. Are most PAs satisfied with their career choice as they get older and gain more experience? Also, is vertical mobility possible so that PA's can be in a supervisory/director type position as they gain more experience?*

Thanks!

Are most PAs satisfied with their career choice as they get older and gain more experience? Also, is vertical mobility possible so that PA's can be in a supervisory/director type position as they gain more experience?*

!

many pa's feel like they hit a glass ceiling after 5 yrs or so and get burnt out.

senior pa's can supervise other pa's but that is usually as high as pa's go up the admin ladder.

if you are young, go to medschool. you will never regret it. I wish I did.

I think Pa definitely sounds more suited than med school for you but maybe you should even consider things not in the medical field. Additionally, the previous post refers to getting burnt out but most professions entail people getting burnt out including nursing, paramedics, and probably doctors. Doctors go to school for a very long time and a good chunk of specialities other that like dermatology, podiatry, ect have some crazy hours that can make someone burn out pretty fast too. I have talked to doctors who say they would never put their kid through med school and they would try to get their kid to go to PA school instead. (cardiologist). So the grass is not always greener on the other side. So I think some are satisfied & some are not. However, you can easily change specialties if you are getting bored with your specialty. Also, I know that once you work as a PA for awhile then you feel like you usually dont need to work under a PA and should get paid more but every jobs will have its negatives. You have to weigh the pros and cons. And personally, you can live a pretty good lifestyle making 80-100k

I'm sure you'll get this advice over and over, but you need to shadow Docs and PA's and see what it is that both do.

Ever since I was younger, I have always said that I wanted to be a doctor. Not because I have an interest in the sciences, but because I wanted to help people. Looking back at my years of high school, I have never really been interested in science unless it was anatomy/physiology or had to do with the body. I have always said that I was interested in the sciences though because I thought that's how doctors were supposed to act.

This seems like a bit of an issue... PA's are trained in the medical model..ie lots of science.. I get the impression that you think that PA would be 'easier'?

Having just graduated this past June, I'm considering careers.

I would also definitely suggest getting a job in health care (EMT, CNA, Patient Care Tech, Surg. Tech, etc.) - you don't mention that you have any patient care experience, and that is a major pre-req for most programs. BTW, what was your major? Are you considering anything in that field?

It's only a good thing to take your time and figure out all of your options before you commit. (I thought about medicine for 3 years before I started my pre-reqs!). Good luck, you have lots of time and lots of choices.

dont mistake the fact that you still need to have a very good handle on science to be a PA.... you have to have the grades and the ability to master material. you arent going to sidestep anything but a few years of school by becoming a PA. its not a shortcut, at least not a worthwhile one if there are certain things that you care a lot about... namely a phsysicians salary, and the amount of autonomy. those things can be important to a lot of professionals, and come at a price.

very well said - that's exactly what I was trying to say.

Archived