Studying for job interviews?

Would you study up for a job interview? I'm interviewing for an ICU position at a level I university hospital which I'm pretty excited about. It includes a 3 month training period and they like new grads. I think they just want to get to know me, but being a new grad my knowledge base could be stronger. I know the job is totally within my capabilities, but I'll definitely need those 3 months to get comfortable handling their intense cases. I've had one job interview so far and was pimped during :=-0: Is that pretty standard? It seems fair enough considering I'll be giving medical care, but it's stressful!

I did 7 job interviews before I got the job I wanted and was never pimped. They asked the usual questions of "why did you become a PA" and "what are your interests in medicine"... "Why do you want to go into ______ specialty"... So I wouldnt say it is standard to get pimped... none of my interviews were for ICU though

• Administrator

While "studying" for a job interview might be appropriate, I think the far more useful skill is *practicing* giving succinct answers to the questions you know will be asked: Can you do this job? Can we get along with you? and Will you stick around?

Another good thing is to prep answers to "Tell me about a time..." questions. Think about work difficulties, about having to tell your boss s/he was wrong, about a time you noticed a medical error and what you did about it. These WILL come up, and thinking back on them ahead of time makes you that much more prepared to answer those sorts of questions.

^^I'm solid on that stuff and have practiced answers for the common questions, thanks for giving me a few more to work on. I had a phone interview yesterday that literally went:

Interviewer: What salary are you hoping for?

Me: blah blah negotiable blah blah

Her:Uhuh, what would you say your biggest strength was?

Me: blah blah good values blah blah (I'm paraphrasing here...)

Her: Uhuh, what would you say your biggest weakness was?

Me: blah blah new grad blah blah

Her: Great, I'll speak to my supervisors and we'll schedule an in person interview.

I'm pretty sure she was playing solitaire while interviewing me...

Archived