Hi all,

It is my first cycle applying and I am wondering if anyone has any guidance or suggestions towards interview preparation. I know that there are resources for mock interviews but they are usually $100+ just for one. Does anyone have any other ideas especially just to get started or how to become confident and ready on interview day? i am very personable and don't typically struggle during interview situations but with these I know I will be nervous and I don't want that to be the only impression left on the adcoms.

Or when is a good time to begin the preparation and everything we should know about the schools before interviews? 

Any feedback on things that helped you or you plan to do is much appreciated!

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

This is my first application cycle as well! As far as when to start preparing I would go ahead and start! I have been reading Savannah Perry's "Physician Assistant Interview Guide", I will plug the link to it below. I have read many schools give very short notice on interviews so it is best to be prepared at all times! Also, as far as free mock interview services go, check into wherever you did your undergrad! I graduated from Georgia Southern and I am doing mock interviews through their Career of Professional Development office, it is free for alumni! 

https://www.amazon.com/Physician-Assistant-School-Interview-Guide/dp/1732076006/ref=asc_df_1732076006/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312543040920&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2722507996669190920&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1027028&hvtargid=pla-569856863160&psc=1

2 hours ago, student1776 said:

Hi all,

It is my first cycle applying and I am wondering if anyone has any guidance or suggestions towards interview preparation. I know that there are resources for mock interviews but they are usually $100+ just for one. Does anyone have any other ideas especially just to get started or how to become confident and ready on interview day? i am very personable and don't typically struggle during interview situations but with these I know I will be nervous and I don't want that to be the only impression left on the adcoms.

Or when is a good time to begin the preparation and everything we should know about the schools before interviews? 

Any feedback on things that helped you or you plan to do is much appreciated!

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Everyone is different but from the sounds of things, you have the necessary skills. The areas to concentrate on are (1) understanding something about the programs you are applying to, (2) knowing why you are applying at all, and (3) maintaining your composure because you feel that you lack confidence.

I'd like to talk about #3 for a moment. While it will be a big day for you, this one interview won't be the determinant for the rest of your life. If you think it is, you will be more likely to tighten up rather than being the calm person who can think on their feet. You'll have lots of interviews in your life and someday not all that far off you will have been the interviewer more than you were ever interviewed. It's a process.

The interviewer wants to know you as a person; they already have seen all your CASPA data. Breathe some life into who you are when you get a chance. Act like you might if a friend took you over to meet his or her parents: one good behavior, but warm and conversational without monopolizing the conversation.

Schools want people who will do well in their program, work well with others, and not become "problem children" when things don't go exactly as planned. Show them that you are that kind of person.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

My advice is to really study up on the specific program and tailer your answers to their mission statement and goals - this is especially easy if your goals align with all of the programs you have applied to. If your interviews are online, but you have the option to come in and take a quick tour of their facilities, then you should absolutely do that - preferably before the interview so that you can ask questions that show you have toured and even ask the interviewers to elaborate on a statement that whoever was giving you a tour made. If you have been offered an interview then you are obviously qualified for the program - now the program needs to decide if they want to be apart of what they are doing. 

Obviously be able to favorably tell the interviewers about yourself, why you want to be a PA, what makes a PA a good PA, what impact would you want to make as a PA, etc. 

Just be organic and I think you'll be better off than if you somehow remember an exact answer for any question that could be asked. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 8:37 AM, MysticMac14 said:

My advice is to really study up on the specific program and tailer your answers to their mission statement and goals - this is especially easy if your goals align with all of the programs you have applied to. If your interviews are online, but you have the option to come in and take a quick tour of their facilities, then you should absolutely do that - preferably before the interview so that you can ask questions that show you have toured and even ask the interviewers to elaborate on a statement that whoever was giving you a tour made. If you have been offered an interview then you are obviously qualified for the program - now the program needs to decide if they want to be apart of what they are doing.

This!

It's no coincidence that the program I got accepted to was the one I had done the most research about, attended all their webinars, and was super passionate about their mission and program. That shined through in the interview and they picked me!

On 6/15/2021 at 5:05 PM, mk750 said:

Any tips to prepare for mmi interviews? There are so many sample questions online and I don't want to overwhelm myself reviewing them. How would you advise applicants to prepare? Do schools ask general/traditional questions during MMI interviews?

My experience with MMI was that my traditional interview prep prepared me well for it. Some of them can be scenario-based, but hits on a lot of the same themes as traditional interview questions if you know how to pick out what they're asking and have a good answer or personal example prepared for that. I was also sure to keep my answers succinct so that I was able to have a good closing statement within the time limit. Highly recommend that rather than rambling or trailing off.

Also, some of the point of MMI is to simply see how you think on your feet and how your thought process works, so that they can see if 1) you'll make a good clinician and 2) if they're a good fit for their program.

Good luck!