ACA article on Dr. shortage, but no PA mention?

http://theweek.com/article/index/231267/is-america-running-out-of-doctors

This fairly superficial article discusses the primary care physician shortage, particularly in light of Obamacare. I kept waiting for the part where they mention PAs as playing an important role, but nothing. The closest they come is this: "Communities have been encouraged to create more walk-in clinics, and to allow more nurses to provide primary care."

Hopefully the healthcare policymakers are more informed than the author of this article! And hopefully the PA profession is being adequately recognized by those policymakers.

http://theweek.com/article/index/231267/is-america-running-out-of-doctors

This fairly superficial article discusses the primary care physician shortage, particularly in light of Obamacare. I kept waiting for the part where they mention PAs as playing an important role, but nothing. The closest they come is this: "Communities have been encouraged to create more walk-in clinics, and to allow more nurses to provide primary care."

Hopefully the healthcare policymakers are more informed than the author of this article! And hopefully the PA profession is being adequately recognized by those policymakers.

That's because in the big live world "we" don't matter! The world knows that it's "doctors" that make people better the rest of the health care world are minor bit players!

It's interesting you bring this up because there was a similar article written in a Ny Times article sent via the AAPA daily newsletter. The article made mention of the Inland Empire (where I grew up and currently reside) and there was no mention of PAs or NPs. What intrigued me most was that this was sent via AAPA newsletter. I would hope that someone from the AAPA would contact journalists who write articles like the one mentioned by the OP to educate the media about mid level providers, the PA profession and where we fit in the affordable care act to lower the gap of healthcare providers in response to Dr shortages.

I would hope that someone from the AAPA would contact journalists who write articles like the one mentioned by the OP to educate the media about mid level providers, the PA profession and where we fit in the affordable care act to lower the gap of healthcare providers in response to Dr shortages.

you are assuming incorrectly that anyone at the aapa gives a damn about our public image....

I know you're being tongue-in-cheek, but I think we can agree that these healthcare reforms should be a major opportunity for the PA profession. Hopefully it works out that way.

(Edit: I was referring to CAdamsPAC's post)

Sadly I'm not kidding........I've come to accept that we are the faceless functionaries of physicians who tolerate us because we make them money, make their lives / practices easier, we are not a "threat" to their status as the paragon saviors of society! When "we" ,assert an expanding role and potential usefulness by stepping out of these parameters , hellfire and brimstone will descend upon us at the behest of "doctors". Sorry to rain on the parade of the younglings and paduwans out there..............but our goals and thoughts are only worthy if the "doctors" agree.

^^^^^... There YOU go CAdams... being "negative." I don't see why you can't ONLY talk about the "sunshine, unicorns & roses"... Ya gotta "stick to the script"...!!! :;;D:

Hey EMEDPA... Please change the title from "ObamaCare" to ACA... cause we are always told to "stay on topic" and I'm really tempted to get "political" in this politically titled thread.

sadly i'm not kidding........i've come to accept that we are the faceless functionaries of physicians who tolerate us because we make them money, make their lives / practices easier, we are not a "threat" to their status as the paragon saviors of society! When "we" ,assert an expanding role and potential usefulness by stepping out of these parameters , hellfire and brimstone will descend upon us at the behest of "doctors". Sorry to rain on the parade of the younglings and paduwans out there..............but our goals and thoughts are only worthy if the "doctors" agree.

even more sadly i agree with you.

-another pawn of the system....

It is has been quite evident that for quite some time our AAPA has mishandled and not heeded the wishes of their members and now rounding into the stretch of the new healthcare reform we are coming in dead last as far as providing medical care as providers and not "assistants", etc.. Should we not regroup and form a new national organization that will address our needs? If we don't win all the battles at least come back and say we tried and here is what happened. The big turning point was the name change in the HOD. It was flushed like last nights dinner!!! PA students or thinking about becoming a PA must not be happy reading all the negatives on these sites. I know I would think twice. How about some positive things? Not personal but Nationally. What is at the end of the rainbow for us as PA's?

It is has been quite evident that for quite some time our AAPA has mishandled and not heeded the wishes of their members and now rounding into the stretch of the new healthcare reform we are coming in dead last as far as providing medical care as providers and not "assistants", etc.. Should we not regroup and form a new national organization that will address our needs? If we don't win all the battles at least come back and say we tried and here is what happened. The big turning point was the name change in the HOD. It was flushed like last nights dinner!!! PA students or thinking about becoming a PA must not be happy reading all the negatives on these sites. I know I would think twice. How about some positive things? Not personal but Nationally. What is at the end of the rainbow for us as PA's?

Tempting as forming a new national org may be, I would recommend caution. Using my experience as a chiropractor as an example, my profession has always had a problem speaking with one voice because whenever a disagreement arises, someone starts a new organization. This has made dealing with legislators much more difficult. I don't know anything about the AAPA or PA politics, but starting a new organization should be the last resort in my opinion.

This thread is discouraging.

This thread should be inspiring. The sad truth is that the comments being made are fairly accurate but that's why we need to enact change. Let's get those PAs that are satisfied with the status quo out of the decision-making positions and replace them with the newer generation of PAs that care about the profession's image, respect, public awareness, practice rights, etc. Complacency is something that happens in every political arena--those in power are happy to put off the major overhauls for the next guy, and the next guy, and the next. It's why you see cities going bankrupt around the country as an example.

we ran several of those new guys in the last aapa election, publicized it well here and elsewhere and they still lost. not enough people care that things need to change.

Is there some sort of publication or other means of communication that all PAs receive? In other words, how do these issues get passed around and discussed amongst the PA profession (aside from this forum, of course)? And is it that some (too many?) PAs are unaware of key issues, or do they just not care?

we ran several of those new guys in the last aapa election, publicized it well here and elsewhere and they still lost. not enough people care that things need to change.

If at first you don't succeed...

Things won't change until they're changed so it only makes sense to keep pushing for it and hope that those more interested in the status quo will retire or move on.

Tempting as forming a new national org may be, I would recommend caution. Using my experience as a chiropractor as an example, my profession has always had a problem speaking with one voice because whenever a disagreement arises, someone starts a new organization. This has made dealing with legislators much more difficult. I don't know anything about the AAPA or PA politics, but starting a new organization should be the last resort in my opinion.

Every effort is being made to work within the current structure, and will continue for as far as I know.

Archived