UTRGV 2021-2022 Cycle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As a current student in the program, I have to say that the program has its pros and cons. I would not necessarily call it horrible. It is a difficult journey to go through PA school. What makes the journey a little harder is that the program is currently going through growth pains with a few new professors and the return to campus post-covid. This program is one of the only programs in Texas to have "black monday" which holds all the major class tests in one day (usually 3-4 tests). The program does this so that we are used to taking high level exams for 6 hours to help prep for the PANCE. To not get stressed by this, I recommend studying ahead of time. The free time you feel during the first few weeks is an illusion haha. My preferred study method is using question banks on tutoring mode since it's both active and passive learning.

Question banks: Rosh Review, Exammaster, boardvitals, cramthepance, uworld

Osmosis is also an amazing resource.

There are pros to the program as well. It is an old PA program with a good track record that is incredibly affordable. The university location has one of the lowest costs of living in the nation. Most of the staff are friendly ( A few are not) and willing to help if you reach out. All new students are given advisors and I recommend setting up a few meetings with your advisors for the first few weeks so they can track your progress and give you advice.

Obviously, some professors are not the greatest teachers, but it is a graduate program and we are expected to do most of the studying by ourselves in the first place. It is very rigorous ** and that's how life is, you're going to meet people who aren't the best and some who are** 

Fair warning, there are a few disappointments to the program. This is one of the only programs to not do joint learning with the medical school. We do not have our own building to learn in (we share the nursing building and an academic building). Another disappointment is that there is a limited supply of clinical materials to practice procedures (Ex: there was only one abscess block for incision and drainage, noone could practice on it, it was a verbal lesson on how to I&D) 

Wherever you go for PA school, the program is going to require you to be flexible. I have friends in other PA programs around texas and they also have their chaotic experiences. You're just going to have to make the best of your situations.

Hope this helps, k bye

• Like 3

• 2 months later...