2021-2022 Application Cycle

On 8/24/2021 at 3:46 PM, ylu95 said:

The school actually had some policy updates regarding group gatherings due to COVID, so we weren't able to invite anyone to dinner. In fact, we weren't officially allowed to eat in a group at all and ended up having an informal picnic outside with some current students. 

The interview will be an MMI. When you call to confirm your interview invitation, they will give you more information on what to expect on interview day. Best of luck to you!

Oh whattt, that is so strange because I spoke to the admissions person yesterday regarding the interview protocol and she asked dietary restrictions for the dinner which seems to be happening and she said they always expect guests at the day 1 and dinner. The only thing she said was masks will stay on. 

18 hours ago, HelloPickles said:

Oh whattt, that is so strange because I spoke to the admissions person yesterday regarding the interview protocol and she asked dietary restrictions for the dinner which seems to be happening and she said they always expect guests at the day 1 and dinner. The only thing she said was masks will stay on. 

Yeah the school policies seem to be changing a lot so I guess it's possible that you will be able to eat with guests by the time you go in for your interview.

When I was called in July for the August interview, I was given pretty much the same info as you. Then a few days before the interview, I was emailed about changes in school policies saying we can only eat in small groups, and some last minute changes were made to our dinner plans. And then, on day 1 of the interview, we were told that further changes in policies said that we cannot eat in groups at all, or at least not within the building. So that's when we split off and did informal picnics outside.

I would maybe email them closer to your interview day to double check and also just be prepared for changes.

• Like 1

I interviewed in August and received a call about an acceptance yesterday.

The MMI interview format is pretty standard.  The BeMo Consulting website has sample questions and answers. I got a BeMo book to prepare for the CASPer exam and think that the strategy that they lay out is solid. I tried to follow the strategy of; 1. outline the problem 2. who are the important stake holders 3. withhold judgement 4. gather more information (have private conversations with individuals, etc.) 5. provide solution based on best info. available that is best for the most people involved 5.a. if I find that x is true, than I would do y, but if I find that it isn't, than I would do z. (You can also include a quick summary in there of the main points.)  I also tied personal experiences in with my answers to varying degrees depending on the question and if I had any experience that related. You can also ask rhetorical questions that engage the interviewer in the conversation.

I honestly didn't think my answers in the interview were all that great. I felt I babbled a bit and wasn't as organized as the plan I lay out above; however, where I think I was successful was in establishing rapport with the interviewer.  I did not get caught up in trying to prepare the perfect answer to a question because there really isn't a right answer.  I've read people saying to be yourself, which I think is true, but vague. Think about what your style is, how you act, and what your tone is when you engage with friends, colleagues, and patients in conversations about interesting or difficult topics. How do you show you are listening, that you care?  Be enthusiastic. Be genuine.  If you are going to review MMI questions, how would you answer those questions if you were talking to a friend/co-worker/etc. as opposed to an interviewer? 

Also, I'm not sure that the program was evaluating us on the information day before the interview.  From the presentation, I got the impression that they were not; however, we do not really know what all is considered when they are making their final decision. I was surprised that when the dinner was essentially cancelled, very few people stuck around to talk with the staff and faculty.  My other piece of advice in addition to building rapport with your interviewer is to use every opportunity available to you to talk with the faculty and students. 

I hope this helps.  Good luck to you all! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TheEmpress said:

nope haha I interviewed in September and haven’t heard anything yet, I’m hoping to get some updates after the November interview session at least!

Since there still seems to be some curiosity, I interviewed September 10-11th and got an acceptance call the following Wednesday. I know it sucks being left in the dark, so I figured I'd say something. Like Tom said, they re-review several applicants from all the interview sessions in December or early next year, so don't give up hope! I wish you all the best of luck.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!  Interviewing this weekend and I was wondering how people dressed for these two days. I have my formal suite planned for the MMI interview as I’ve worn for other interviews. For the day before, is it more business casual or did you use the same outfit/ same level of formal business attire? Good luck to all and can’t wait to meet others this weekend!

On 11/3/2021 at 1:00 PM, TheEmpress said:

Good luck to everyone interviewing at Iowa this weekend!! I’m sure you’ll all do great and I’ll be thinking of you guys 🙂

3 minutes ago, KT24601 said:

Hey all!  Interviewing this weekend and I was wondering how people dressed for these two days. I have my formal suite planned for the MMI interview as I’ve worn for other interviews. For the day before, is it more business casual or did you use the same outfit/ same level of formal business attire? Good luck to all and can’t wait to meet others this weekend!

I interviewed in September and everyone wore their formal business attire for the MMI, but for the orientation day there was kind of a mix from pretty casual to more formal. I wore a patterned button-down collared shirt with dress pants and flats and I felt dressed for the occasion.

• Thanks 1