MASS State job that is excluding PA's - yup it is real and happening......

Job Description 
Nurse Practitioner - (210004LY)

Description

The Lemuel Shattuck Hospital under the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) is seeking caring, dynamic and attentive applicants to provide an exceptional patient care experience that promotes healing and recovery in a compassionate public health hospital environment.

A Nurse Practitioner (NP) is a health professional qualified by academic & clinical training to assist in the diagnostic and therapeutic management of patients in both inpatient and outpatient settings in medical disciplines. The NP works under the supervision but not necessarily in the presence of a qualified licensed physician; supervision includes rounds and review of patients, periodic written & verbal review of performance.

Please note: The shift hours for this position are between 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (40 hours per week). Days off are Saturday and Sunday. The incumbent must work at least 4 weekends per year.

Duties and Responsibilities (these are a general summary and not all inclusive):

• Evaluation and examination of patients by performing tasks such as taking medical histories; conducting physical examination; taking body fluids such as blood, spinal fluid, and urine for laboratory tests.  Prescribes medications and treatments.
  • Performs and/or interprets routine and specialized diagnostic studies, including, but not limited to: laboratory procedures, radiologic studies, electrocardiographic tracings, allergy screening, Pap smears.
  • May perform therapeutic procedures, including injections, immunizations, paracentesis, suturing, wound care, incision and drainage of superficial infections, treatment of verrucae, cast application and follow-up of fractures and other surgical procedures.
  • Instructs and counsels patients regarding physical and mental health, including proper diet, disease prevention, therapy, normal growth and development, family planning, situation adjustment reactions, and other health care matters.
  • Rounds on community and correctional health patients in inpatient settings, recording patients progress notes, determining and implementing therapeutic plans in conjunction with the supervising physician, and compiling and recording pertinent case summaries.
  • Covers 4 weekends and one holiday for vent and subacute inpatients.
  • Participates in hospital and department committees as delegated by the medical director.
  • Covers the rapid response team as scheduled.

Required Qualifications:

• Knowledge of the techniques of physical diagnosis, including those used in taking a medical history, performing a physical evaluation and synthesizing of the history, physical and laboratory findings to arrive at an accurate evaluation of the patient.
  • Knowledge of the fundamentals of electrocardiography.
  • Knowledge of the principles of basic diagnostic radiology as they pertain to the use and interpretation of radiographs pertinent to primary case medicine.
  • Knowledge of the purpose and use of medical records.
  • Knowledge of safety practices and proceudres followed in a medical facility.

Preferred Qualifications:

• Suboxone Waiver

About the Lemuel Shattuck Hospital:

Lemuel Shattuck Hospital is a fully Joint Commission accredited teaching facility that provides acute, subacute, and ambulatory care to patients referred by public agencies and private sector providers. Shattuck Hospital’s services help economically and socially disadvantaged patients to get high quality, cost-effective care from a staff that respects their dignity.

Located in the heart of Boston’s Jamaica Plain neighborhood, the Shattuck Hospital includes 260 inpatient beds including 115 Psychiatric beds and 28 Correctional Health beds.  In addition, the Shattuck has a full outpatient clinic with many specialties that offers treatment to patients of the Department of Mental Health as well as Department of Correction inmates and community patients.  The Shattuck hospital is on the forefront of substance use disorder treatment including a Sub Oxone clinic serving 200 patients.   In addition to direct medical services LSH hosts and supports an array of services located on the campus, serving patients struggling with addictions and homelessness.

Total Compensation:

As an employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you are offered a great career opportunity influencing a wide-spectrum of services to the diverse populations we serve - but it is more than a paycheck. The State's total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits which you should consider towards your overall compensation, including:

• 75% state paid medical insurance premium
  • Reasonable Dental and Vision Plans
  • Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance programs
  • Low cost basic and optional life insurance
  • Retirement Savings: State Employees' Pension and a Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
  • 12 paid holidays per year and competitive Sick, Vacation and Personal Time
  • Tuition Benefit for employee and spouse at state colleges and universities
  • Long-Term Disability and Extended Illness program participation options
  • Incentive-based Wellness Programs
  • Professional Development and Continuing Education opportunities
  • Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program

Pre-Hire Process:

A criminal background check will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services prior to the candidate being hired. For more information, please visit http://www.mass.gov/hhs/cori

Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division’s Hiring Guidelines.

Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth’s website.

For questions regarding this requisition, please contact the Executive Office of Health and Human Services Human Resources at 1-800- 510-4122 Ext. #2.

Qualifications

First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.

Minimum Entrance Requirements:  Applicants must have at least (A) three years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience as a registered nurse in a recognized hospital, clinic, or medical facility, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below. 

Substitutions: 

I. A Graduate degree with a major in Nursing may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience.* 

*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed. 

Special Requirements:  

Current and valid registration as a professional nurse under the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing.  Current and valid authorization to practice as a Nurse Practitioner by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing.

An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.  Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.

Official Title: Nurse Practitioner

Primary Location

: United States-Massachusetts-Boston-170 Morton Street

Job

: Medical Services

Agency

: Department of Public Health

Schedule

: Full-time

Shift

: Day

Job Posting

: May 26, 2021, 2:27:01 PM

Number of Openings

: 1

Salary

: 84,747.52 - 141,417.38 Yearly
If you have Diversity, Affirmative Action or Equal Employment Opportunity questions or need a Reasonable Accommodation, please contact Diversity Officer / ADA Coordinator: Kevin Lovaincy - 6179379947
Bargaining Unit: 07-MNA - Professional Health Care
Confidential: Yes

10 hours ago, bike mike said:

I'd still encourage PAs to apply if they are interested in the job. I recently applied to a position listed as NP only and landed the job because I was more qualified than any NP applicants. 

you can not apply with out lying

you have to attest you have an NP license.....

no way to apply with out being and NP

1 hour ago, ventana said:

you can not apply with out lying

you have to attest you have an NP license.....

no way to apply with out being and NP

Did you contact them to ask why? I tried but got lost in HR email land.

And there's a legal attestation that you have an NP license required when you apply? That's insane.

11 hours ago, Lucy199 said:

Hey ventana, just trying to add some humor here, I used to pick patient's up from the shattuck all the time when I was an emt... The NP's can happily have this one all to themselves🤣

yup I know!!

But it is still tough to be totally EXCLUDED from a job that we are more qualified for then NPs

I have seen this swing in MASS in the past 4-5 years - used to ALWAYS be PA/NP postings

now, nope, just NP......

Is this not common? I have always seen positions posted as "nurse practitioner" and not PA. They aren't the same profession, sometimes an employer wants a specific type. I've also seen a ton of positions that just say PA. Especially in psych, I don't think I have EVER seen a job posting that treats the two as interchangeable.

Edited by Komorebi

So the old "just go ahead and apply to NP only jobs" really does not work anymore especially through Indeed.   I was stopped after 30 seconds of applying because I had to click "Yes" to the NP license through Indeed's screening before I could even send my resume.  I'm not going to lie and say yes, so I clicked no and it immediately says, "sorry but you do not meet the MINIMUM requirements for this position".  I don't meet the minimum requirements? Damn that one hurts.

37 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

Is this not common? I have always seen positions posted as "nurse practitioner" and not PA. They aren't the same profession, sometimes an employer wants a specific type. I've also seen a ton of positions that just say PA. Especially in psych, I don't think I have EVER seen a job posting that treats the two as interchangeable.

It is becoming more common but used to be different. 30 years ago it was all PAs and NPs were still rare. For many years most jobs were for either. Now? 

4 hours ago, Komorebi said:

I often have to have a conversation with whoever is hiring that we are more similar than different, which is really true except maybe in certain states where there may be minor differences. 

4 hours ago, Cideous said:

So the old "just go ahead and apply to NP only jobs" really does not work anymore especially through Indeed.   I was stopped after 30 seconds of applying because I had to click "Yes" to the NP license through Indeed's screening before I could even send my resume.  I'm not going to lie and say yes, so I clicked no and it immediately says, "sorry but you do not meet the MINIMUM requirements for this position".  I don't meet the minimum requirements? Damn that one hurts.

I’ve found that I have to answer yes to NP license. I have ended up ultimately hearing back from some jobs that way; some would reiterate that they only want an NP; and most ofc you won’t heard anything back from. YMMV 

In psych, in my experience, PA only jobs are really second rate jobs that most NPs wouldn’t want to do 

5 hours ago, ventana said:

Well they must have gotten a earful from someone....

now have a PA posting....

I don't know if I can take credit but all it took was an email to HR asking if PAs were allowed to apply.

Sometimes it's simply a matter of ignorance rather than ill will.

One time I saw this posting for a NP position at a large hospital system. I called the HR and asked if the job was only for NPs. They explained that the job posting listed NPs because it was computer generated but it wasn't meant for NPs only, that PAs were welcome to apply.  

13 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

That makes one of us. I'll agree to disagree.

Ha, we're both biased!

In general, I prefer and respect PA education over NP education. I'm biased when it comes to my colleague PMHNPs. I feel our education prep is more specialized, and in general people going into psych tend to be more driven to do psych. Historically (it's changed some) psych NP programs have been smaller and more selective with really great one on one instruction as we are the smallest subset of NPs (only 4% on NPs are PMHNPs). We get specialized training in therapy, psychopharmacology, etc and do clinical hours in every part of the mental health system. I graduated from my program feeling very prepared for psych and started my first job hitting the ground running without missing a beat. I work with psychiatrists who treat me like an equal colleague and often come to me for advice.

For psych my experience with PMHNPs has been almost entirely positive and I've always been impressed. That is definitely not the case with other NP specialties, especially FNPs who I feel have become a dime a dozen with extremely variable education quality.

On 5/28/2021 at 4:59 PM, Komorebi said:

No. I'd a hire a new graduate PMHNP for a psych job over a PA.

On 5/29/2021 at 9:46 AM, Komorebi said:

In general, I prefer and respect PA education over NP education. I'm biased when it comes to my colleague PMHNPs. I feel our education prep is more specialized, and in general people going into psych tend to be more driven to do psych. Historically (it's changed some) psych NP programs have been smaller and more selective with really great one on one instruction as we are the smallest subset of NPs (only 4% on NPs are PMHNPs). We get specialized training in therapy, psychopharmacology, etc and do clinical hours in every part of the mental health system. I graduated from my program feeling very prepared for psych and started my first job hitting the ground running without missing a beat. I work with psychiatrists who treat me like an equal colleague and often come to me for advice.

For psych my experience with PMHNPs has been almost entirely positive and I've always been impressed. That is definitely not the case with other NP specialties, especially FNPs who I feel have become a dime a dozen with extremely variable education quality.

Ok just to state the facts and nothing but the facts

A Psych NP can gain this degree with as few as 400 observational hours or experience. and almost no experience outside of psych

A Psych PA needs > 2000 hours of hands on patient management.  They have to do at least a full rotation in psych, and then rotations in Surgery, Medicine, Peds, Hospital medicine, EM and others.  They they commonly take electives in the field they wish to enter.    Then after graduation they can attain a CAQ in Psych.   As we all know it is impossible to simple become and expert in "one field" with out broad based knowledge in all of medicine.  400 hours of observation and expert does not make.  The preparation for working in MH is far more rigorous by a PA then an NP.  

The single biggest reason that NP's are out in front in this field is the ability to bill independently and proactive advocacy.  Please do not confuse the current hiring trends with the educational model. 

Now having said that I have worked with some amazing Psych NP's and at the same time two of the worst providers I have ever worked with were both Psych NPs who just kept adding meds to the management and would enter a world of polypharmacy that was inexcusable.  Another of my experiences had an NP get called into a judges chambers and told to clean up her opiate prescribing, and yet another was an NP whom refused to press charges on a patient whom stole a script pad and forges huge scripts "because she didn't want them to get in trouble".  I have known of one PA whom was writing controls for her wife and got busted.   Granted these are just my experiences, but I would caution anyone from making blanket statements about the quality of NP being greater then PA after schooling. However I do believe we need to compare apples to apples and schooling can be compared, and PA comes out on top every time. 

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, ventana said:

Ok just to state the facts and nothing but the facts

A Psych NP can gain this degree with as few as 400 observational hours or experience. and almost no experience outside of psych

A Psych PA needs > 2000 hours of hands on patient management.  They have to do at least a full rotation in psych, and then rotations in Surgery, Medicine, Peds, Hospital medicine, EM and others.  They they commonly take electives in the field they wish to enter.    Then after graduation they can attain a CAQ in Psych.   As we all know it is impossible to simple become and expert in "one field" with out broad based knowledge in all of medicine.  400 hours of observation and expert does not make.  The preparation for working in MH is far more rigorous by a PA then an NP.  

The single biggest reason that NP's are out in front in this field is the ability to bill independently and proactive advocacy.  Please do not confuse the current hiring trends with the educational model. 

Now having said that I have worked with some amazing Psych NP's and at the same time two of the worst providers I have ever worked with were both Psych NPs who just kept adding meds to the management and would enter a world of polypharmacy that was inexcusable.  Another of my experiences had an NP get called into a judges chambers and told to clean up her opiate prescribing, and yet another was an NP whom refused to press charges on a patient whom stole a script pad and forges huge scripts "because she didn't want them to get in trouble".  I have known of one PA whom was writing controls for her wife and got busted.   Granted these are just my experiences, but I would caution anyone from making blanket statements about the quality of NP being greater then PA after schooling. However I do believe we need to compare apples to apples and schooling can be compared, and PA comes out on top every time. 

I don't try to put down other professions to puff up my own, I leave that to the physicians. Hence why I've been nothing but complementary to the PA profession in my posts, which I highly respect.

Please don't create strawmen of the "worst case scenario" NP to attack the profession I love and represent. There are Caribbean medical schos as well but we don't use that as the measuring stick for physicians, let's not use the worst schools as the NP example either.

I applied to numerous PMHNP programs. None were only 400 clinical hours. I had 320 hours in one class alone. My program was something like 900+ hours, and remember these are psych only hours so again I feel the average new graduate PMHNP is more psych prepared than the average PA. I had clinical hours in everything from group psychotherapy to an eating disorder clinic. I LIVED psych for over two years both in clinic and didactic. 

I think the population specific model works well in some cases. PMHNP and CRNA are two of those, and I think they are advanced practice nurses who tend to have an education program better suited to their population than the generalized PA program. For most other specialties I prefer the PA model which is why I have so much respect for all of you in the ED, surgery, etc where you are sometimes indistinguishable from the physicians.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Komorebi said:

I don't try to put down other professions to puff up my own, I leave that to the physicians. Hence why I've been nothing but complementary to the PA profession in my posts, which I highly respect.

Please don't create strawmen of the "worst case scenario" NP to attack the profession I love and represent. There are Caribbean medical schos as well but we don't use that as the measuring stick for physicians, let's not use the worst schools as the NP example either.

I applied to numerous PMHNP programs. None were only 400 clinical hours. I had 320 hours in one class alone. My program was something like 900+ hours, and remember these are psych only hours so again I feel the average new graduate PMHNP is more psych prepared than the average PA. I had clinical hours in everything from group psychotherapy to an eating disorder clinic. I LIVED psych for over two years both in clinic and didactic. 

I think the population specific model works well in some cases. PMHNP and CRNA are two of those, and I think they are advanced practice nurses who tend to have an education program better suited to their population than the generalized PA program. For most other specialties I prefer the PA model which is why I have so much respect for all of you in the ED, surgery, etc where you are sometimes indistinguishable from the physicians.

IMHO after some years of experience PAs are gonna be on par with NPs in pretty much any specialty. Reverse would also be true