HOD meeting updates

Some commotion to begin due to the order of amendments because changing the title of the organization was spoken on prior to changing the title of the profession. Many thought that was backwards. (and it was). 

Majority PRO title change. - Lot's of testimony from delegates and random members. 

The catch is obviously is change to what. A lot of testimony for MCP and P Associate.

• Thanks 1

Some PRO Physician Assistant testimony now. Sounds like denial of people who can't see the future if we don't change. 

One sweet lady insists she is not a Physician Assistant or Associate, she is just a "PA"

Guess she doesn't realize what her patients, supervisors, hospital, and licensing board call her. 

PAEA comes out against title change with a whopping 12% of physician preceptors opposed to title change. Largely arguing cost is inhibitive. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have to keep reminding myself that the majority of testimony is still con to the resolution of keeping "assistant" because listening to the pro testimony is making me depressed (despite raising some good points honestly). Its so odd to me that many fail to see the forest for the trees.

Edited by Lbarnum
typo

yea I was confused at first but the "con" is against keeping assistant.

One guy just said we shouldn't change titles because in 10 years our terminal degree will be doctorates and we will just have to change titles again to "doctor".

Scott Burns is currently knocking it dead advocating for MCP

I don't understand the insistence on conflating PA job popularity with the title. How good PAs are at their profession and how much people love PAs has almost no correlation to the name physician assistant. Its especially interesting that nearly all those in the pro camp affirm that assistant is holding us back in legislation, patient care, recognition, etc.

Everyone wants to keep the initials mostly it sounds like. That point has merit but is not difficult to overcome really.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

and I only caught part of it but did a VA PA just advocate for changing our title to PA? Just the initials but they don't stand for anything. Like the artist formerly known as Prince.

No, she was using it as an example for change difficulty at the federal level. 

• Upvote 1

Gentleman made a good point about the Spanish speaking translation confusions that can occur and will continue to occur  as the official Spanish title is already physician associate and where the translation for physician assistant is really understood as medical assistant 

Texas gal just showed up and said ignoring the data to change to MCP is akin to being a patient who won't listen to the evidence based medicine. Wondering why PA's are acting like this; related it to being childish. Listen to the data, listen to the experts. 

Don't mess with Texas. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Can someone qualify a bit more what the representative for WPP was stating vis a vis the qualitative findings i may be misunderstanding? It sounded as though they were attempting to assess which term people felt better described the listed roles and responsibilities. 

If that is indeed the full scope of its findings then MCP didnt necessarily “perform” better as a preferred choice for a professional caregiver but simply as a 1:1 definition of the duties listed. All that marketing report states then is that MCP an accurate description of what we do. You could put physician or medical care practitioner in a blind test for the same concept and MCP would win again because it’s inherently general and could be applied to any medical clinician. If all the title change does is help patients know what we do immediately upon hearing it, then our ability to advance our professional standing in the eyes of lawmakers and colleagues is not included. 

I agree that physician associate is only marginally better than assistant but it does advance our standing professionally. 

32 minutes ago, deltawave said:

This guy is banging on the NP's door! Get rid of assistant. Cannot remain assistant. NP is greater than assistant or associate. 

Advocating to listen to the members. Not outside orgs that oppose. 

Change the title. 

That was Dave mittman. He’s a big reason we are even having this conversation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

The nephrologist PA constituent leader came in favor of assistant. They stated the WPP study isn’t scientific. I would argue she needs to learn the difference between non-scientific and low level evidence. WPP study may not be a double blind, high power, RCT, but it’s higher level evidence than her “expert” opinion

She also mentioned MCP is already in CMS guidelines. Guess she’s never heard of prior authorization.

Not sure on that point, but the overwhelming majority are for change. I would be absolutely floored if there is no title change. 

There have been some anti-change, but almost all are emotional and personal instead of logical or based on facts and data. 

Edited by deltawave

• ventana locked, unlocked and locked this topic