PLNU 2021 - 2022 Cycle

14 minutes ago, poopoodoo23 said:

For those of you accepting to plnu.. do you have any reservations about their provisional status?

From my searches it seems just as legit as a continued status but just wondering what other research you may have done to possibly pass up on other schools for this one?

Hey! I have been accepted and I don’t have any reservations 🙂

Every new program has to go through provisional accreditation before they transition to “continued”. Both are considered fully accredited and meet the ARC-PA standards. 

During the provisional accreditation period, the institution goes through three reviews: one before the first cohort starts, a second six months before graduation of the first cohort and the last between 18-24 months after the first cohort graduates. 

Here’s a great flow chart explaining the whole process, I hope it’s helpful!

http://www.arc-pa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Diagram-Provisional-Accreditation-Process-10.2019.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 6:10 AM, ElleG said:

Hello!

I thought I would start a topic for this year's cycle (2021-2022) and get to know a few other applicants! 🙂 I just submitted my application last week, eek!

Hi ElleG,

nice work. Have you hear anything about interviews? 

I submitted 6/1 and haven’t heard anything yet. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello all,

My name is Natalie & I am actually a current student in the PLNU 2023 cohort.  I wanted to address the things said in the post by Anonymoususer0083.  First off, there is no lawsuit against the program so this claim is blatantly untrue. Secondly, I would disagree that the faculty and working with them is "nightmarish". Everyone is entitled to their own opinions however as someone that is very proud of the institution they are a part of, it makes me upset to see such things written in a space that is aimed at helping and guiding potential students who want to come here. I wanted to tell you all about my experience so far and how I feel about the school. 

As the first cohort have there been bumps in the road? Of course, it is to be expected with any brand new program. But by the time you all enter many of these minor bumps will be figured out. The school has given us a lot of grace as the first cohort and we have returned it to them as we navigated these "first cohort" waters together. 

No program is perfect but I am proud of being a part of PLNU's program.  Happy that I am able to walk into the faculty's offices with ideas/concerns/feedback where they actually listen, because I promise you that many programs are not like that. I was accepted to other schools but after interviewing at PLNU I knew it was the perfect fit.  I am so thankful I chose them as they have taught us how to be quality, efficient, compassionate clinicians while also showing us how we can give back to our communities and make an impact as a PA. 

Everyone's journey is their own and their experience is their own. My advice for future students is to form your own decisions based on your own personal experiences. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2022 at 1:19 PM, NatalieR said:

Hello all,

My name is Natalie & I am actually a current student in the PLNU 2023 cohort.  I wanted to address the things said in the post by Anonymoususer0083.  First off, there is no lawsuit against the program so this claim is blatantly untrue. Secondly, I would disagree that the faculty and working with them is "nightmarish". Everyone is entitled to their own opinions however as someone that is very proud of the institution they are a part of, it makes me upset to see such things written in a space that is aimed at helping and guiding potential students who want to come here. I wanted to tell you all about my experience so far and how I feel about the school. 

As the first cohort have there been bumps in the road? Of course, it is to be expected with any brand new program. But by the time you all enter many of these minor bumps will be figured out. The school has given us a lot of grace as the first cohort and we have returned it to them as we navigated these "first cohort" waters together. 

No program is perfect but I am proud of being a part of PLNU's program.  Happy that I am able to walk into the faculty's offices with ideas/concerns/feedback where they actually listen, because I promise you that many programs are not like that. I was accepted to other schools but after interviewing at PLNU I knew it was the perfect fit.  I am so thankful I chose them as they have taught us how to be quality, efficient, compassionate clinicians while also showing us how we can give back to our communities and make an impact as a PA. 

Everyone's journey is their own and their experience is their own. My advice for future students is to form your own decisions based on your own personal experiences. 

Thank you for your feedback on the matter. I would also like to point out that your experience is not necessarily the experience that all of your peers are having. I was also told that you were the president of your class so I am sure your experience in the program and even with the faculty is very different from that of other students. She has told me of the way that some of your classmates have been treated and how students do not want to bring up issues with the faculty out of fear of how they will react.  She also mentioned issues with some of the faculty treating other students poorly. From the sound of your response, it appears that you are not one of the students and I am very glad that you have had such a great experience. However, I do not think you should dismiss other things that may be going on; even things that you may not be fully aware of. I believe that everyone who is applying to any school should be able to hear both sides evenly. I agree 100% with you that every student should form their own decision but they should also hear all the good and the bad. It sounds like my friend loved the program originally as well. However, after she started noticing these issues their outlook changed. This is especially important to think about when you think of all the time and money we are about to put into PA school. All I ask is that you let all of us hear both sides and not dismiss someone just because you disagree with their post. 

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I am a current student of the class of 2023. While I agree that I can't speak on the opinions/experience of some of my classmates, my experience at PLNU has been a good one. I am proud of all the community outreach that has been made available to us. These outreach events have been a great grounding experience and help to remind me why I love medicine after months of hard studying. I have always felt our faculty have been fair. They always review the class performance after each exam and will always throw out questions that a majority of student get wrong. I have never noticed an instance where faculty have shown favoritism to a student. As far as preparing us for clinicals and the PANCE, our Rosh review test scores typically beat the national average which I think is a good indicator of how our future PANCE pass rate will be. There is no doubt in my mind that PLNU will continue to be a great program and will only improve over time. We have had the pleasure of being taught by some phenomenal clinicians. I would be lying if I didn't say that some of our adjuncts weren't the greatest teachers, but that is the nature of a new program. Im sure the pool of adjunct professors will only improve as the program continues to refine their pool of instructors. My wife went to Chapman and was in their 3rd cohort. She said that her cohort had all the same concerns that some of my classmates have. Her cohort went on to have a 100 percent PANCE pass rate so it sounds like some of these concerns about learning enough and being prepared for the PANCE are universal to PA programs.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone! I'm part of c/o 2025 and came here to check and see if there was a groupme (or anything else) made for our cohort. Can't seem to find the thread for the new application cycle, so figured I'd check here. If anyone knows anything, please let me know! Excited to get to know everyone! 

8 hours ago, nolizrod said:

Hi everyone! I'm part of c/o 2025 and came here to check and see if there was a groupme (or anything else) made for our cohort. Can't seem to find the thread for the new application cycle, so figured I'd check here. If anyone knows anything, please let me know! Excited to get to know everyone! 

Hello! Congratulations on your acceptance! 

I don't know of a GroupMe for your cohort but perhaps you could start one? For ours, we started with a FB group and I shared the link with Jayna who sent it out in her next newsletter. 

If you have any questions, let me know and looking forward to meeting you in August!

• Like 1