Anyone applying/accepted with low or no GRE scores?

If there is one thing that irritates me about applying its the GRE. I'm not retarded, I did well in math and english classes (gotten A's in them all) but my GRE scores are not the most competitive. I'm applying to a few schools without a minimum or no scores and just wanted to see what everyone else's experience has been. Im rolling the dice with my scores, hopefully some of you have success stories!

I've done a bit of that but never asking how exactly the scores were figured in so thanks for the advice.

This may seem like a dumb question, but for schools not requiring the scores, is there still some factoring in if candidates are equal in other stats? I suppose it depends on the school if it did.

There are ~9 PA programs in California. Only USC requires a GRE. The schools out here have different candidate focuses. Most programs out here want between 1k-3k paid HCE while others require 0. If you have a 3.4 science & cum GPA then you'd be running in the middle of the pack of most competitive applicants.

Ca/Nv schools that do not require GRE scores or HCE

Western University - 3.4 c/sGPA (weighted on volunteering)

Touro NV - 3.1 c/sGPA

Touro Mares Island - 3.3 c/sGPA (weighted on working with rural populations)

UC Berkley ~ 3.5 c/sGPA

Ca schools that do not require a GRE but 1k HCE

Loma Linda University - 3.7 c/sGPA (weighted towards 7th day adventiths)

Samuel Merrit ~ 3.4 c/sGPA

Ca schools that do not require a GRE but 2k HCE

Riverside Community College ~ 3.0 c/sGPA (weighted on geographic location)

SJVC ~ 3.0 c/sGPA

Stanford / Foothill College ~ unk guessing 3.5 c/sGPA (3k HCE)

I'm trying to remember this on the fly so not 100% accurate but it's what I remember from their competative stats.

There are ~9 PA programs in California. Only USC requires a GRE. The schools out here have different candidate focuses. Most programs out here want between 1k-3k paid HCE while others require 0. If you have a 3.4 science & cum GPA then you'd be running in the middle of the pack of most competitive applicants.

Ca/Nv schools that do not require GRE scores or HCE

Western University - 3.4 c/sGPA (weighted on volunteering)

Touro NV - 3.1 c/sGPA

Touro Mares Island - 3.3 c/sGPA (weighted on working with rural populations)

UC Berkley ~ 3.5 c/sGPA

Ca schools that do not require a GRE but 1k HCE

Loma Linda University - 3.7 c/sGPA (weighted towards 7th day adventiths)

Samuel Merrit ~ 3.4 c/sGPA

Ca schools that do not require a GRE but 2k HCE

Riverside Community College ~ 3.0 c/sGPA (weighted on geographic location)

SJVC ~ 3.0 c/sGPA

Stanford / Foothill College ~ unk guessing 3.5 c/sGPA (3k HCE)

I'm trying to remember this on the fly so not 100% accurate but it's what I remember from their competative stats.

I think u meant UC Davis. Berkeley has no PA program.

And IIRC, Stanford requires a 3.0 gpa with minimum 3k HCE

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

I think u meant UC Davis. Berkeley has no PA program.

And IIRC, Stanford requires a 3.0 gpa with minimum 3k HCE

Thanks for the correction on UC Davis. I was listing avg accepted student GPA's / competitive. Do you happen to know what the avg accepted applicant GPA is at Stanford? I mean LLU req a 3.0 but last year only interviewed people with a 3.7. Western only interviewed applicants with a 3.4.

Thanks for the correction on UC Davis. I was listing avg accepted student GPA's / competitive. Do you happen to know what the avg accepted applicant GPA is at Stanford? I mean LLU req a 3.0 but last year only interviewed people with a 3.7. Western only interviewed applicants with a 3.4.

For my class, I think it was 3.5 gpa with avg 7k HCE. But each class is different.

*mentally disabled

Not to be a pest, but retarded is politically incorrect, and in the medicine world is not professional. When asking a question on a forum which includes members of professional status you should stick with the proper terminology. You wouldn't address someone who is mentally disabled as "retarded" on your personal statement would you? It just has a negative connotation associated with it.

In response to your question, don't sweat too much. The gre is only a fraction of the application. I was had a somewhat average gre score, denied an interview at what I deemed a lower grade school and accepted to my first choice. Just get the interview and nail it. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. If it doesn't work out this year, and you are serious about this profession, you will work hard to make sure you get in next year.

If they tell you they don't factor them in, then you have to take that at face value and assume that a candidate who has the gre will be in level ground with the one that doesn't.

hi

can i know some of the schools who just take the GRE scores as a formality?

thank you

There are some programs which do not require GRE. Those are the only placed I applied to.

YEP...!!!!

The GRE isn't a indicator and has absolutely NO bearing on whether or not you will make a excellent PA.

Its only used to "thin the herd"... so I opted out and only applied to 10 programs that didn't require it at that time.

*mentally disabled

Not to be a pest, but retarded is politically incorrect, and in the medicine world is not professional. When asking a question on a forum which includes members of professional status you should stick with the proper terminology. You wouldn't address someone who is mentally disabled as "retarded" on your personal statement would you? It just has a negative connotation associated with it.

In response to your question, don't sweat too much. The gre is only a fraction of the application. I was had a somewhat average gre score, denied an interview at what I deemed a lower grade school and accepted to my first choice. Just get the interview and nail it. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. If it doesn't work out this year, and you are serious about this profession, you will work hard to make sure you get in next year.

I apologize for the term. I wasn't trying to be unprofessional.

As for your advice, thank you, I appreciate all the responses. I actually decided to apply to schools without GRE requirements. I wished I would have came to this point before I esubmitted a few schools but life moves on and I know I'll get into somewhere whether it's this round or the next.

YEP...!!!!

The GRE isn't a indicator and has absolutely NO bearing on whether or not you will make a excellent PA.

Its only used to "thin the herd"... so I opted out and only applied to 10 programs that didn't require it at that time.

Don't get me started on general standardized tests, lol. After the SAT disaster I was told I'd fail college. I graduated cum-laude majoring in Bio and minoring in Chem. Whatever, jokers, lol

Archived