Hello all,

I'm here to get some advice. So I spent about a year volunteering at a dining hall for the homeless community. I logged my own hours by Month (not by each volunteer shift). I tried to contact the volunteer coordinator for verification of my hours which brought me to the realization that they have two programs. Apparently they have a volunteer program where they keep track of your hours to use for school and or legal obligations and another one where you basically submit a volunteer form of interest and get started as soon as you'd like once they contacted you back. I'm not sure exactly how that got lost in communication when I initially applied, but I was the latter. So, it seems there is no way for them to verify any hours I volunteered. My question is should I still use this as an experience including their contact info, but checking no to release authorization to contact the organization (I don't want it to look suspicious, but I can explain later to the admins, if they ask) or should I just leave it off my whole app? Thanks a bunch!

I’d submit the hours, all the contact information, and release authorization for them to contact the organization. I would try to list the contact person as someone who could vouch for you as putting in the time, which may or may not be a supervisor. If questions arise and a school is wanting to look into this more, you can then explain your circumstances.

@Janie55 Thanks for the advice. The only problem is there isn't really any one person who was present all the time while I volunteered. It was always random groups of people or some familiar face here or there but not anyone I kept in contact with. Unless I list family and friends that knew I was volunteering but even then. I'm leaning towards listing it anyway but not authorizing which looks bad. I'm not too sure what to do just yet. 

@rev ronin Would you suggest me using it and releasing authorization anyway then? I have the volunteer coordinator's info but idk how she would respond if she ever got a call about me. Unfortunately, she has no record besides our email conversations and essentially said she can't assist me since I wasn't enrolled in the program.

@rev ronin Alright, I'm going to trust your advice on this and just list my hours and release authorization. I'll just deal with explaining things later down the road if it happens. Do you think it could become a problem if something comes up as unverifiable? That's just my main concern bc I don't want to do well and then get turned down for this one thing coming up. Thank you so much for the insight!

• Administrator
On 5/22/2021 at 10:34 PM, rev ronin said:

I've never heard of a school verifying volunteer hours of an applicant, ever.

See my earlier thoughts on the subject of volunteer hour verification.  In medicine, you're going to have to learn to live with uncertainty...

• Like 1