Physician Assistant Shadowing Experience

I was able to shadow a PA in-person during the pandemic, so I'll answer your questions:

• What did you do there?
    • I was basically their shadow for that day. I followed them into the rooms to see patients. I took notes during the patient visits in case something came up that I wanted to know more about. I was able to ask my question in between patients. My PA actually gave me "homework" so we could discuss topics in their specialty. I actually really enjoyed that. I watched them chart so I saw the grunt work that charting is as well as replying to patients messages. I used my iPad to take notes throughout the day. My PA allowed to ask any and all questions.
  • What was your responsibilities there?
    • My responsibility was basically to be a shadow and learn. My job was to watch them with patients and just observe while in the room. Absorbed a lot of information. When doing in-patient rounds, I would follow the PA around from room to room as they rounded on the patient. I ate lunch with the PA and go into depth about a lot of topics.
  • What were you asked to do by the PA or MD during when shadowing?
    • Aside from "homework", there wasn't much I was asked to do in regards to a certain task. Just to take good notes and listen carefully so I could ask questions later. I did sign waiver/privacy paperwork before I was allowed to shadow. 
  • Is it easier to get to shadow hospital PA's instead of private offices PA?
    • It all depends. Currently, hospitals aren't allowing student shadowers due to the pandemic. But a lot of private offices are. You just have to do some research to find that opportunity.\

Hope this helps!

On 5/20/2021 at 4:34 PM, BeckyTX said:

I was able to shadow a PA in-person during the pandemic, so I'll answer your questions:

• What did you do there?
    • I was basically their shadow for that day. I followed them into the rooms to see patients. I took notes during the patient visits in case something came up that I wanted to know more about. I was able to ask my question in between patients. My PA actually gave me "homework" so we could discuss topics in their specialty. I actually really enjoyed that. I watched them chart so I saw the grunt work that charting is as well as replying to patients messages. I used my iPad to take notes throughout the day. My PA allowed to ask any and all questions.
  • What was your responsibilities there?
    • My responsibility was basically to be a shadow and learn. My job was to watch them with patients and just observe while in the room. Absorbed a lot of information. When doing in-patient rounds, I would follow the PA around from room to room as they rounded on the patient. I ate lunch with the PA and go into depth about a lot of topics.
  • What were you asked to do by the PA or MD during when shadowing?
    • Aside from "homework", there wasn't much I was asked to do in regards to a certain task. Just to take good notes and listen carefully so I could ask questions later. I did sign waiver/privacy paperwork before I was allowed to shadow. 
  • Is it easier to get to shadow hospital PA's instead of private offices PA?
    • It all depends. Currently, hospitals aren't allowing student shadowers due to the pandemic. But a lot of private offices are. You just have to do some research to find that opportunity.\

Hope this helps!

Hello, thank you for the informative post. Just a quick follow up, how many hours did you shadow them for? Is there an ideal amount that would be best?