Getting an ED job

Hey there ED folks,

What is the best way to get a job in the ED? I graduated a year ago and have been working in CT surgery for the past 10 months. I have learned that it is not for me. I started out going to PA school with the hope to eventually work in emergency medicine but getting a job as a new grad proved nearly impossible unless I did a rotation at that particular site. Unfortunately, the program I went to sent us all over the place and I did my ED rotation in the middle of no where in the midwest at a place that doesn't hire PAs. I am afraid that if I stay in my current job too long that I will get "type casted" as a ct surgery PA and cannot bear the idea of spending the rest of my career here.

I have applied to several ED jobs in the Northwest and cannot even get an interview or a call back. It is kind of sad. Most of my pre PA work was in Emergency Medicine and in the military. I did very well in PA school. It is kind of disheartening that I cannot get a single interview. What is the best way to go about getting into an ED as a PA?

Thanks for your input.

Archived