Hospital Pay Rate / Negotiations

Several of my friends have mentioned that a lot of hospitals in this area (Detroit area) pay all new PAs the same rate (which is around $43/hr base). I am not yet negotiating, but I am wondering if hospitals are less likely (or not at all likely) to negotiate?

If salary isn't negotiable, are benefits/time off, etc?

Thanks,

Sheryl

Several of my friends have mentioned that a lot of hospitals in this area (Detroit area) pay all new PAs the same rate (which is around $43/hr base). I am not yet negotiating, but I am wondering if hospitals are less likely (or not at all likely) to negotiate?

If salary isn't negotiable, are benefits/time off, etc?

Thanks,

Sheryl

Most hospitals won't really negotiate. Benefits are fixed and not really negotiable. The one thing I have seen is to increase the moving allowance to give what is essentially a bonus. There also may be some flexibility in a range. The salary is usually a range. If you can show you belong at the top of the range there may be some room to move.

• 2 weeks later...

You can certainly try to negotiate. It also depends if the area is underserved. $43 for a new grad PA is pretty good and hospitals usually have good benefits. They usually reimburse your credentialing fees. Remember to start negotiation early because the hospital privileges can take a couple or several months.

Archived