I have the Navy HSCP scholarship. Can I quit the Navy at this point?

I am about to graduate in a few days from a civilian PA school. I've had the Navy HSCP scholarship since November 2019. I have had significant life changes during PA school such as finding a husband, and having a child. The Navy lifestyle no longer will work for my family. I am wondering if anyone know how to get out of the obligation?

Thanks!

• Downvote 2

I assume you signed a contract with the Navy for three years of commissioned service.  Unlike in the civilian world, you made a commitment to the US Government, and they can very well hold you to it.  Should you not show up for training/service, you will be considered AWOL/a deserter.  Warrants for your arrest can be issued, although not always pursued.  Eventually, you could end up with a bad faith discharge.  Either way, you will owe all money back immediately, and they can dock any civilian paycheck.  Sadly, you also took this benefit away from someone else, who hopefully would have kept their commitment.

Edited by DKBobby
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey there, current active duty Navy here. I'm dual-mil, and have two kids both under 4 and my husband deployed twice since they were born. You definitely signed the contract and they also paid for your schooling so there's no way to back out at this point. There are plenty of female in the military that are married with children and we are all making it work. I would advise you to start looking into stable childcare and have multiple backup care. Proper planning will ensure you a less stressful tour in the future. If you need advice on how to juggle it all, feel free to reach out. 

• Upvote 2