Did PAFT just throw our profession under the bus and back over it?

12 hours ago, rev ronin said:

As someone recently elected to the PAFT board but not yet formally taken office, I'd like to point out that there's a new set of directors already elected and taking office in under two weeks who had no input--good, bad, or indifferent--into this discussion.

Speaking for myself, I think it kind of rude to be handed a live hand grenade as I'm assuming my duties.

Honestly I think PAFT should release the vote.  Then move to censor those who voted against for something.  Totally unacceptable that this happened with lame duck.  Wow just wow.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, PA-C said:

Extremely disappointed by AAPA’s and PAFT’s stance on this. Might as well have taken a million dollars and lit it on fire. I can’t help but feel that they pretended to entertain the idea of a title change just to attract more members and pad their coffers for another couple years.

This right here! Cowards and hypocrites! 

Not another dime. As someone said- let them die on the vine. Sounds good to me. 

13 hours ago, rev ronin said:

As someone recently elected to the PAFT board but not yet formally taken office, I'd like to point out that there's a new set of directors already elected and taking office in under two weeks who had no input--good, bad, or indifferent--into this discussion.

Speaking for myself, I think it kind of rude to be handed a live hand grenade as I'm assuming my duties.

Unfortunately 2 weeks would too late since the HOD meeting on title change is May 20 next Friday. I don't know if PAFT will offer testimony in favor of "ASSociate" but they most likely won't offer testimony pro "MCP". I signed up for the meeting but couldn't clear my schedule at work so I'm gonna be waiting for the results but man this makes me sick and I can't believe we did all this for a whole Lotta nuthin.

If ASSociate is our new name... I'm gonna take my AAPA and PAFT and CAPA dues and my 401k all out and buy cardano with it and hope to retire in less than 5 years. 😂 

PAs are PAs worst enemies 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Joelseff
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Joelseff said:

but man this makes me sick and I can't believe we did all this for a whole Lotta nuthin.

Seriously. They spent a million dollars on consulting to ignore it.

The way this is headed, we would have done better to blow the money on a couple Superbowl commercials to promote the profession.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/14/2021 at 9:55 AM, ventana said:

REALLY disappointed in this....  unsure I will re-up my membership.... have to think about it

total lack of vision for the future

I could understand a position like

1) we support a name change

2) ideal is MCP

3) if MCP is not going to pass then support Associate

But to jump in the Associate direction with out the above is disturbing....

Yes! I think that is best response, especially when the votes are so close. When the votes are so close, they should've go by the WPP's recommendation. The one million report holds more weight when the votes are evenly split. 

I am afraid this could be the down fall of PAFT. PAFT was not known for "playing safe" 

If we want to play safe, we would just listen to AAPA, NCCPA, PAEA, ARCPA. What is the point of having PAFT? 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, PACali said:

I am afraid this could be the down fall of PAFT. PAFT was not known for "playing safe" 

If we want to play safe, we would just listen to AAPA, NCCPA, PAEA, ARCPA. What is the point of having PAFT? 

EXACTLY!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

Seriously. They spent a million dollars on consulting to ignore it.

The way this is headed, we would have done better to blow the money on a couple Superbowl commercials to promote the profession.

And this post wins the thread if there is such a thing.

What really gets me is the old timers here (of which I am one of) saying how "different" the new AAPA leadership was going to be.  How we as a profession had finally, "turned the corner" on our stupid name.  Then we have a 1 million dollar project buy which supported EXACTLY WHAT MANY OF US HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR LITERALLY DECADES.  Yet, our new leadership including PAFT go face first into the rear-end of every AAPA leadership group position for the last 20 years.

Well done guys........well done.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TeddyRucpin said:

Couldn't have associate been done years ago, and without the million dollar research/price tag? I'm glad a change WILL happen; assistant has to go.

Teddy, this is for you.  Enjoy your new Associate title.  Here is your new name tag:

4D1A154C-9DD7-4DE4-A865-494F92F25D5C_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.ef10d2dfeba50f452d9f0bdb2287dd6d.jpeg

• Haha 4

Physician Associate, provide associate care. 

Medical Care Practitioner provide medical care. 

Physician Associate is an associate of the physician 

Medical Care Practitioner is a Practitioner of Medicine 

Physician Associate opens a physician associate practice 

Medical Care Practitioner opens a Medical Care Practice 

Physician Associate has an Associate degree  

Medical Care Practitioner has a Medical degree 

Am I right? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Did anyone ever throw out Provider of Allopathic Medicine, or "PA"?  Even if you graduated from a DO affiliated program you still provide allopathic care.  One could even drop the "-C" since in my mind it would become irrelevant.  Physicians aren't allowed to be licensed without graduating and passing USMLE.  I know that the train has left the station for you guys but I woke up for some reason thinking about this and it seems to me like it checks off some boxes from the title list.

• Like 1

This just posted to the PAFT social media page 5 minutes ago. Seems like they may be kinda learning a lesson to listen to their constituents. I say kinda because now they’ve just shown how weak they are. Stand by MCP; remaining neutral is lame too. 

“PAFT and the Title Change Debate

After vigorous discussion, debate, and ongoing discussions regarding title change in multiple venues, PAFT is amending its position on title change to address a greater concern. 

Recent conversations show fear a few may co-opt the HOD/Title Change process, and the process's integrity is being questioned. This, combined with some strong feelings about whether the discussion will continue, has led PAFT to adopt a neutral position on any particular title and refocus on ensuring the discussion goes forward and be conducted in a way that mitigates any concerns about the integrity of the process.

To that end, we call on the officers of the HOD, each delegate, and the BOD of AAPA to make sure the discussion of title change goes forward and that members are heard in a manner that is open, fair, and thorough. We encourage all concerned members of the AAPA to watch and listen to the proceedings with an open mind and a desire to see the issue come to a vote after a proper and thorough discussion.

Now is not a time for anger, outrage, and disenfranchisement, but for diligence coupled with civility. Together all parties can make this HOD a success and bring the title change discussion.“

Edited by deltawave
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

It's as good a time as any.

The horse was already sent out of the barn with PAFT's previous VERY strong worded statement declaring us "Associates".  

Sorry, but some wishy washy back track to a neutral stance is pathetic.

The research was done.  The consulting money paid, and because some Dino PA's didn't like the result they set that million bucks on fire and refused to accept what the data was telling them.

It's pretty simple really.  

1.  Our profession will continue to suffer up to and including only hyper specialized jobs available for not just new grads but experienced PA's as well UNLESS we start killing it with more autonomy secured through legislation.

2.  And yet we will NEVER have any widespread success with legislation unless we change our name to something that reflects what we do more accurately.

3.  We paid the money, did the research and MCP won.  BIG TIME.  It won with those who matter...colleagues and patients which means legislators as well.

4.  Then like any good self abuser, we ignored the data and recommendations of the experts and continued down the path of self destruction.

I knew this was bad, but until I was back in the job market I didn't know HOW bad it was going up against NP's.  Even with a fantastic CV work history, clean record, good LOR and 25 years+ of experience it took me 6 months to find a job.  Over and over again I was turned down for one reason and one reason only...I was not an NP.  And it ALL goes back to our name and lack of legislative victories.

PAFT had a real opportunity to listen to the data and come out with a full force statement in support of MCP.  They squandered that opportunity and face planted right into AAPA's back side.  I think they were the only organization that really could have made a national impact on PA's and they blew it.

So here we are again.  On the precipice of squandering THE golden opportunity of this generation to save the profession before it's too late.  Before thousands of new grads are saddled with $80k in school loan debt and can't find a job to pay it off.  All because legacy PA's can not get passed those two STUPID LETTERS....P AND A, NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY HOLD US BACK.  History is not going to look kindly on the cowards who swung the hammer putting the final death nail in our professional coffin. 

Well done them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

"Dino PAs". Love it!

How does one qualify and do you get a special pin and post-nomial letters?  PA-D perhaps?🙂

To qualify you must have been on a first name basis with Dr Eugene Stead....

Nope!  To qualify you must believe that "Physician" represents us and "Assistant" represents us and "Associate" accurately represents what we do as a profession.  If you believe that, you are a Dino PA.  Well done you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/19/2021 at 9:19 PM, Cideous said:

Nope!  To qualify you must believe that "Physician" represents us and "Assistant" represents us and "Associate" accurately represents what we do as a profession.  If you believe that, you are a Dino PA.  Well done you.

Glad to know I can be a graybeard PA without being a Dino PA.