Did PAFT just throw our profession under the bus and back over it?

What in the actually F?

"After careful review of the information presented, the PAFT Board of Directors disagrees with the title Medical Care Practitioner’s final recommendation. The professional direction should not be for a wholesale name change but for a name modification to clarify our physician colleagues, our patients, regulators, third-party payers, and our current and future students. Marrying physician to associate creates a new name that can be leveraged to send a positive message about our role in healthcare. (2,3,4)

Subsequently, PAFT calls on the AAPA HOD, PAEA, NCCPA, and ARC-PA to support the title Physician Associate for our profession’s future."

Unreal.  Massive step backwards.  "Associate" polled terrible with our "colleagues" and especially patients.  MCP did the best by far.

I'm really stunned by this.  Wholesale sellout to a name that will hold us back just long enough for the profession to wither and die on the vine.  

Well done.

Scott?  You support this?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Pretty disgusting. PAFT was my next step. I don't understand how anyone can support a name which has even less to do with our profession than assistant.

At least in some settings the PA actually DOES assist a physician, there is no setting where I am considered an associate.

Save the $$$ until we have more progressive leadership to obtain a change which is necessary to progress our field.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

It was a vote of the board decided by a mostly even split. My personal choice doesn't matter. When the board votes I have to carry the flag

Mercy.

I am really shocked by this stance taken by PAFT.  I really thought this group was the future, but in their shortsightedness they are just another group who does not understand how utterly devastating our name is to the long term viability of this profession. Everything comes back to our name.  It is the center of our legislative solar system to which everything else orbits around.  "Assistant" or "Associate" are profession killers.  The consultant study proved this. Either of those names will hold us back until we are dead on the vine.  I feel utterly sick for new grads.

Why doesn't PAFT just change their name to who they really are?  AAPA.

REALLY disappointed in this....  unsure I will re-up my membership.... have to think about it

total lack of vision for the future

I could understand a position like

1) we support a name change

2) ideal is MCP

3) if MCP is not going to pass then support Associate

But to jump in the Associate direction with out the above is disturbing....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, sas5814 said:

It was a vote of the board decided by a mostly even split. My personal choice doesn't matter. When the board votes I have to carry the flag

I think if the vote of the board was mostly an even split, they should make their final decision based on the WPP's recommendation. Votes/surveys among members are important but I think the WPP report should add another 20% of votes towards MCP. If not, why even spent a million dollar for a branding company? 

Edited by PACali
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I get everyone's frustration and disappointment and I'm not going to try and talk anyone down off the wire. I just want to point out we wouldn't be having this conversation or OTP if it wasn't for PAFT.

I have never been a member of a group that always did everything the way I wanted them to. If you want to let PAFT die on the vine that is certainly a choice.

With that statement, PAFT just did itself in.  

Did they read the study results?  I mean, it wasn't even close.  EVERYONE but PA's found the name Assistant and Associate to be misleading at best.  There is a REASON the consulting firm took our million and made the recommendation of MCP....because THAT is what the data bore out!  For PAFT to put out that statement outright calling the study wrong?  That was not a tepid recommendation for us to be Associates (ffs).  That was a statement from people who had already made up their minds BEFORE the study.  What a waste.

I've said it a thousand times.  This profession can not stop shooting itself.  It's like it has a death wish.  Freaking bizzarro.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, sas5814 said:

I get everyone's frustration and disappointment and I'm not going to try and talk anyone down off the wire. I just want to point out we wouldn't be having this conversation or OTP if it wasn't for PAFT.

I have never been a member of a group that always did everything the way I wanted them to. If you want to let PAFT die on the vine that is certainly a choice.

Completely agree, and that's exactly what makes this so upsetting. Feels completely uncharacteristic. 

• Upvote 2

• Administrator

As someone recently elected to the PAFT board but not yet formally taken office, I'd like to point out that there's a new set of directors already elected and taking office in under two weeks who had no input--good, bad, or indifferent--into this discussion.

Speaking for myself, I think it kind of rude to be handed a live hand grenade as I'm assuming my duties.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

As someone recently elected to the PAFT board but not yet formally taken office, I'd like to point out that there's a new set of directors already elected and taking office in under two weeks who had no input--good, bad, or indifferent--into this discussion.

Speaking for myself, I think it kind of rude to be handed a live hand grenade as I'm assuming my duties.

The grenade is not live Rev, they already set it off and there are body parts everywhere.  If I was elected and they pulled that, I would immediately resign and tell them where they could stick the remaining parts.  But hey, that's me.

• Haha 1

• Administrator
Just now, Cideous said:

The grenade is not live Rev, they already set it off and there are body parts everywhere.  If I was elected and they pulled that, I would immediately resign and tell them where they could stick the remaining parts.  But hey, that's me.

Took a while for PAFT to gain respect and momentum; I didn't agree to run for office just to run for the hills because the situation I arrive to wasn't the one I anticipated.

Besides, there will be plenty of time for my well-meaning attempts to help to make things even worse.

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 3

My analogy

I have a debilitating  disease that could negatively impact others.  Medical researchers, the ones that really know what is best, have suggested a treatment,  Physicians, allied healthcare, family and friends also agree is my very best option. 

I think option one is to hard of a pill to swallow.  I could break it up and take it over a year or two, but just don't want to bother. Instead, I decide to go against what the experts tell me is best.  I chose the option physicians are whole heartedly against.  Obviously this second option will be better than nothing, but it is far from what experts say I need to have a fully functioning future.  

However, I don't care about my future, I don't care how my decision will impact those around me, I don't care what anyone says, I prefer to not live life to its fullest, easier is better.  Guess I am like the antivaxxers out there who refuse to listen to the professionals.  

As a profession, PA's now have no grounds to suggest evidence based medicine or treatment, or tell patients that vaccines are important. Research maybe has proven them to be effective, but  If PA's don't believe research when it applies to you, why should patients believe what you tell them about best practice. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone know step by step what needs to be done to legally change our professional title? Is there any chance we could make it happen without the support of AAPA or PAFT? I know $$$$ is always a hurdle when it comes to trying to get legislation passed, but money aside, could individual state PA academies get a legal name change to pass at their state level? Or could those of us who support MCP faction off and get a name change passed at the national level? 

Extremely disappointed by AAPA’s and PAFT’s stance on this. Might as well have taken a million dollars and lit it on fire. I can’t help but feel that they pretended to entertain the idea of a title change just to attract more members and pad their coffers for another couple years.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, ventana said:

REALLY disappointed in this....  unsure I will re-up my membership.... have to think about it

total lack of vision for the future

I could understand a position like

1) we support a name change

2) ideal is MCP

3) if MCP is not going to pass then support Associate

But to jump in the Associate direction with out the above is disturbing....

^This. Whether you want Medical Care Practitioner or Physician Associate, the biggest opponent you'll have is the people who want to remain Physician Assistants or don't think title change is worth it. Those are the people that will have to be defeated for us to move forward at all. The people who are speaking out against title change are enjoying the infighting, failure to compromise, and analysis paralysis that has plagued this issue for years.

Edited by PractitionerAwesome
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Very irritating that their vote and position  during a lame duck period. 

1 hour ago, PA-C said:

Does anyone know step by step what needs to be done to legally change our professional title? Is there any chance we could make it happen without the support of AAPA or PAFT? I know $$$$ is always a hurdle when it comes to trying to get legislation passed, but money aside, could individual state PA academies get a legal name change to pass at their state level? Or could those of us who support MCP faction off and get a name change passed at the national level? 

That's an interesting idea - sort of an "end around."

A start would be to incorporate a non-profit and use it to trademark the MCP name. Make it a membership-based non-profit organization, the chief membership requirement being that you have to be a licensed PA. It would draw disgruntled members from AAPA (and now PAFT) and many people might choose to be members of both.

This does not have to be an "either/or." There's no reason you couldn't simultaneously be both a "physician's assistant" and an MCP.

Edited by SHU-CH
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2