2021-2022 Application Cycle

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 9:41 AM, Medic2PA21 said:

Have not seen a thread yet for this cycle so I figured I would start one! I submitted my application last night and woke up to an email saying it was verified and CSU was reviewing my application! Good luck everyone!

Thank you so much for creating this! Has anyone heard anything yet? Best of luck to all!

@SCPA2022 No problem, I was starting to get worried no one applying was on the forum lol. Last years forum had a lot of activity! But I got the standard email stating my application had been received and they were reviewing it and that is it. Looking through last years forum, July 1-2nd was the day the first round of interview invites went out! 

@Medic2PA21 I kept checking on the forum and was surprised no one responded either! I initially was a little hesitant to do so 😂 I also saw that last year the invites were sent out in early July, I am wondering how much of that was due to COVID because the previous forums it looked like it was early-mid June when people heard. I guess we will see! Hopefully it is soon because I have been jumping at every phone call or email I receive!

Tentative Timeline From 2020 - 2021 Cycle's thread

June 5, 2020                received email: "We have received your application.......

July 2, 2020                  I received a call just now inviting me to a virtual interview on July 31st

July 8, 2020                  Scheduled to interview July 31. Application received May 21 invite sent July 2. Super excited!

July 20, 2020                got an interview invite for august 13th

August 4, 2020              I'VE BEEN WAITLISTED LMAO

received an email interview invitation for 8/28

I received an acceptance call today.

August 19, 2020             Waitlisted from 8/13 interview

Got my acceptance call

September 2, 2020       Got an email that I am waitlisted

October 5, 2020            I received a rejection email today stating that:

“the admissions committee has concluded their selection process for the class of 2022.”

October 27, 2020          pulled from the waitlist

November 14, 2020      acceptance call and email this morning off the waitlist

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! good luck on your applications. I am one of the students currently attending CSU. The faculty just emailed us for our interest in participating in the student panel so you guys would most likely hear soon! CSU is an amazing program, I would be happy to answer any questions you all may have!

• Like 1

@Beenka thank you so much for posting! Since you went through the process last year, I am sure you understand how difficult it is to be in a "wait and see" position, so I know that we all really appreciate you giving us this update! I did have a few questions, if you do not mind.

1) Very generic, but what do you enjoy about the program? I have spoken to a couple of other students (one who is in their first year, and another in second year) who also love CSU, so I am interested to hear what you like about it!

2) Do you feel like the didactic portion is preparing you well for clinical rotations? I think one of my concerns with any program is that the didactic portion is so challenging with just pure content that you are too focused on studying to keep your head above water, and then when it comes to the actual application part there is a huge disconnect.

3) Have you been able to balance some semblance of a personal life with school? 

Thank you so much! I hope that we are able to meet if I am lucky enough to be extended an interview invite!

2 hours ago, SCPA2022 said:

@Beenka thank you so much for posting! Since you went through the process last year, I am sure you understand how difficult it is to be in a "wait and see" position, so I know that we all really appreciate you giving us this update! I did have a few questions, if you do not mind.

1) Very generic, but what do you enjoy about the program? I have spoken to a couple of other students (one who is in their first year, and another in second year) who also love CSU, so I am interested to hear what you like about it!

2) Do you feel like the didactic portion is preparing you well for clinical rotations? I think one of my concerns with any program is that the didactic portion is so challenging with just pure content that you are too focused on studying to keep your head above water, and then when it comes to the actual application part there is a huge disconnect.

3) Have you been able to balance some semblance of a personal life with school? 

Thank you so much! I hope that we are able to meet if I am lucky enough to be extended an interview invite!

Hi! Of course! I can definitely empathize, CASPA and applying to PA schools in general is super rough mentally, emotionally and even physically. Hang on and you got this! I think the determination you have put to even get this far is something to be proud of. 

Here are my take/answers:

1.) For me, there was a lot to be happy about with the program. To be honest in the beginning, I was super afraid of moving so far away from home to attend CSU. (I literally moved across the country!!). Also! since I participated in the zoom interviews due to COVID, I never visited or personally went around to get a feel for the program. However, when I started I was so impressed by how welcoming the faculty has been and how encouraging they are. I was already impressed with how comfortable they made me feel during the interview, but meeting the faculty in person and going through this first didactic portion with them has made my PA school experience the best. I love how encouraging and supportive they are, especially whenever we are feeling extremely low, they always remind us of the bigger picture. 

I also love how my classmates support one another. Being a program with about 34 students I feel that we got the opportunity to be really close with everyone! and there doesn't seem to be any competition either. Everyones always willing to share the best tips and tricks to study and we really are each other cheerleaders! 

In terms of the curriculum, I absolutely loved our Cadaver lab! we ended up working with 6 cadavers and each cadaver was a group of 4-5 students! So I was able to be very hands-on and learned a lot. Our building specifically for the PA program is also new so I also found all the resources to be very impressive. Other courses I thoroughly enjoyed is our PBL (Problem Based Learning) course, which for me personally I found to be the most challenging but I have learned so much from it, we get to really critically think and apply our knowledge so I feel like this course really helps prepare us for clinicals. We also have various guest speakers throughout the year to teach us on various topics which I throughly enjoy. Also! the program provides us with extra tutoring from an amazing local PA that comes to teach us!

2.) As I'm still a didactic student, I can't fully answer this question yet but from what I have heard from our upperclassmen they seem to be doing just fine! But, I totally feel for your concerns. I think the school does well in mixing more than just straight up "death by powerpoint" for example I think PBL really challenges us to think and apply our knowledge. 

3.) For me personally, I wanted to make sure that I don't compromise my personal life and I tried really hard to find what worked best for me to have that balance. For example, I told myself that I would have Friday night to myself without studying at all. This has helped me tremendously with my emotional well being. This part may look differently for everyone but I do believe its more than possible to balance your personal life with school. Our classmates hang out quite often with one another too 🙂

Hope that helps! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have anymore questions! I wish you the best of luck with your applications.

Edited by Beenka
  • Like 2

Hi everyone, so excited to submit my app to SCU!

Can anyone provide any insight as to how to complete the document with proof of PCE hours? Does this need to be an official document from my employer? Or is it a document I create and just include their contact info?

Any input is appreciated, this is the last thing I need to submit my app!

On 6/28/2021 at 9:28 PM, tpendleton said:

Hi everyone, so excited to submit my app to SCU!

Can anyone provide any insight as to how to complete the document with proof of PCE hours? Does this need to be an official document from my employer? Or is it a document I create and just include their contact info?

Any input is appreciated, this is the last thing I need to submit my app!

I just listed my hours in a resume format and included contact information for my employer. I think it’s just a document you can create. 

@Beenka I am so sorry for not responding sooner! Thank you SO much for all of your thought out and in-depth information. It has definitely made it even more clear that CSU is my #1 choice! I really appreciate your perspective on everything and it makes the idea of PA school a lot less intimidating. I am hopeful that we will hear soon and get to meet during the panel!

• Like 1

I received an interview invite this week as well, if anyone has advice for this program/process please share! Also for any current students if you’re here, I’m wondering how much religion is incorporated into the interview & into the program itself? I know this varies a lot between colleges and want to know what to expect- thanks!

On 6/23/2021 at 5:34 PM, Beenka said:

Hi everyone! good luck on your applications. I am one of the students currently attending CSU. The faculty just emailed us for our interest in participating in the student panel so you guys would most likely hear soon! CSU is an amazing program, I would be happy to answer any questions you all may have!

Did you interview virtually last year? I haven't had a virtual interview yet so I was just wondering if you can provide any insight into their interview style (I think I saw they do MMI but want to confirm) or how the virtual session is run. Anything you can offer would be so helpful! Thanks in advance!

On 7/16/2021 at 8:53 AM, rnel97 said:

Did you interview virtually last year? I haven't had a virtual interview yet so I was just wondering if you can provide any insight into their interview style (I think I saw they do MMI but want to confirm) or how the virtual session is run. Anything you can offer would be so helpful! Thanks in advance!

Hi there! Yes, I interviewed virtually last year. Hmm yes we did MMI for my cycle but I am not sure if they will be changing the format. The interview itself is pretty well organized in my opinion, you should be getting more information from the coordinator leading up to the date of the interview with all the information you may need. The coordinator is really good at communication and I felt like everything ran smoothly for me. Just make sure you join for the interview early to make sure connection is all good and I would suggest choosing a well-lit area and if you know you might have some distractions from family for example to just let them know in advance. Just practice and be yourself and you will be fine!

Edited by Beenka