Higest paid PA working today?

Money is not everything, but it certainly is nice to feel compensated appropriately for the stress/time/effort that we all put into our jobs on a regular basis.

While 90% of the world was home for at least several months of the pandemic, we continued to work day in and day out without a missed beat.  Sure a couple of large corporations gave us some discounts, and maybe even a free meal here and there... but there was no "hazard pay," no bonuses, etc.  In fact, I was constantly reminded by management that "revenue is down - PPE costs are up" and that we need to work harder and longer with reduced staff to make up for it.  

Many of those who were out of work got extra pay from the federal government and state in addition to the regular unemployment.  Many states are now offering "return to work bonuses."  How about a bonus for the front line workers, who continue to work everyday regardless.  

I like my job - I get paid relatively well - but certainly feel undercompensated for what I do.

Just saw a national news story that Bank of America is raising their MINIMUM pay to $25.00 an hour by 2025.  Work as a bank teller for $25.00 an hour -  Or work as a PA-C making $60 an hour - being pushed to see more patients, work faster, while trying to avoid mistakes... 

We are people, not robots 🙂

4 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Good for you and I hope it is successful. I opened my own practice back when but some family issues forced me to close after about a year (just as it was becoming viable). It is a ton of work but there is nothing quite like being the captain of your own ship.

personal currency changes over time. My latest (and hopefully last) job is with the VA so I knew coming in it was going to be a lot of work for )probably) not enough money. But it fills my work/life balance need and I have found a little passion again as an advocate for veterans. getting a little passion back is worth more than money.

round 2 for me

had a house call geri practice prior and loved the control, but the overhead is killer

The new practice is LTC and the overhead is almost zero! No rent, no staff, only a biling company and then my own bennies like health insurance, retirement, CME and the like....... Makes the reimbursement pretty viable and no set schedule (they live there) and easy to take snow days off or stay home if kiddo sick....

While it is nice to have a nice income while working, it is even better in retirement knowing that you no longer carry that responsibility and have the income to not have to worry about a house payment or where your next meal is coming from.  Life truly is a journey and I am so thankful for all the blessings which I have received.  I can think of no greater opportunity than having people come to you in time of need, trust in you to help them, and then to meet their expectations, or even exceed them.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

While it is nice to have a nice income while working, it is even better in retirement knowing that you no longer carry that responsibility and have the income to not have to worry about a house payment or where your next meal is coming from.  Life truly is a journey and I am so thankful for all the blessings which I have received.  I can think of no greater opportunity than having people come to you in time of need, trust in you to help them, and then to meet their expectations, or even exceed them.

THIS!!!!

after turning 50 I have focused more on this then changing the world and advancing my career.  Just doing a good job and making it over the finishline

• Like 1

To echo the sentiment... I like making money, but the frustrations I feel are not worth it.  I was making more in ER (around $140k), now I am going to do immediate care with a few ED shifts.  I should make the same money with RVU (paid 2x a year), but now I get PTO.  I realized that PTO and time off was worth more to me now than making more money.  Don't get me wrong though, I feel I could go contract with triple canopy for $1000 a day (in case anyone hears anything).  

I know of a PA in Georgia that works FT in critical care, holds a faculty position teaching part time, and moonlights (I think ER?) and was making close to 300k about 4 years ago. Guy seemed like he was running on the HIGHEST of octane fuels anytime you saw him. Incredibly smart, could run circles his first year out of school around most of the interns but was the nicest, humble person you've met.

Myself...I make 85k a year working 30-36hours a week, split between family practice and emergency medicine. I love my work-life balance at this time in my life. I've found the pay cut to be worth it for the time being as well as a renewed interest in medicine.

Regarding corrections work, I had an offer once for $200k to work solo in corrections at a VERY remote supermax prison. Wasn't for me at the time-could be for someone else though.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...