Higest paid PA working today?

Hello All! I understand patient care and satisfaction is the most important part of any job within the medical field no doubt about it..

that being said, just for kicks and giggles and for those who are interested in the money aspect of the profession...

whats the highest amount of money you have personally earned working as a PA ANNUALLY? this includes those working two jobs, hey maybe even three.. or profit sharing , production bonuses etc etc?

is it true that those specialty PA's can out earn family medicine/internal medicine/general medicine docs?

thanks guys!

I worked as a "Security Contractor" with DynCorp and Triple Canopy on State Department Contracts for a couple (~2) of yrs.

Early 2005 (Feb-April) - 90 days in Iraq = $90k (contract was for $1000 every day in country )

2005 (Jun-Dec) - 160 days in Afghanistan = $128k (contract was for $800 every day in country)

2006-2007 (Apr-July) - 15 months South Sudan (Uganda, Dafur, Kenya) = (contract was for $196k/yr so I made a little bit more than this because I was there a few months over a yr)

Contrarian

• Upvote 1

I know ct surg pa's who have made 250k.

I know em pa's who have made 200k.

I know of a bariatric medicine pa and noted author who makes> 500k/yr. he owns several clinics and has written several books on getting into pa school...

the president of the Johns hopkins em group is a pa, mba. don't know what he makes but I imagine it's > 250k/yr, maybe closer to 350(?)

• 3 years later...

if money is your motivation you have a few options as mentioned above: CT surgery, overseas and alaskan contract work, or rural emergency medicine doing long shifts at low volume shops. I get 1700/day to do 24s at a rural facility where I typically see 8-12 pts/24 hrs...MANY of these folks are very sick...all of these positions are for experienced folks however, not new grads....a 12-18 month residency would be the fastest way to qualify for such positions.

I have met PAs who I think are like the sleazy lounge lizard in a bar that tells one girl he is an ex-astronaut and the next chick he was a brain surgeon for MSF (doctors without borders), so I am a little skeptical when I hear these wild stories about how they found a way to see 5 patients a day and earn 500K a year.

• 5 years later...

I make around 600-700k a year working 28-36 hours a week. I’m in aesthetics and make 25-30% of my gross earnings. Last year I grossed over 2.5 million. I know several other aesthetics PAs that pull in similar pay. I’ve been a PA for 7 years. 
if you’re wanting great money with even better hours then look into aesthetics. 

Edited by ThePlasticPA
  • Like 1

• Administrator
4 hours ago, ThePlasticPA said:

I make around 600-700k a year working 28-36 hours a week. I’m in aesthetics and make 30% of my net earnings. Last year I grossed over 2.5 million. I know several other aesthetics PAs that pull in similar pay. I’ve been a PA for 7 years. 
if you’re wanting great money with even better hours then look into aesthetics. 

FYI for those of you who think this might be too good to be true, there is a website and social media presence corresponding to this username that matches the signup email from this account.  That is, it looks legit to me.

5 hours ago, rev ronin said:

FYI for those of you who think this might be too good to be true, there is a website and social media presence corresponding to this username that matches the signup email from this account.  That is, it looks legit to me.

5 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Yep that’s me! Although realized I typed incorrectly. I make 30% of gross collections not net.

Mainly wanted to share because I had no idea the possibility of this salary.  when graduating I took a job making under 100k thinking I was killing it and realizing the office was raking in millions with me, and I was getting paid pennies in comparison. I think the “average PA salary” is way under estimated and therefore people don’t know they can negotiate for more. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ThePlasticPA said:

Mainly wanted to share because I had no idea the possibility of this salary.  when graduating I took a job making under 100k thinking I was killing it and realizing the office was raking in millions with me, and I was getting paid pennies in comparison. I think the “average PA salary” is way under estimated and therefore people don’t know they can negotiate for more. 

The dirty little secret is that Doc's salary are supported by PA and NP.  And now more PA because we are still "dependent"

I bill almost 5000 wRVU

Generate about 350,000 in receipts

get paid about 120k

Doc would be getting well north of 200k, maybe almost 250 for this, with a much better benefits package

We are funding the doc salary, the office salary, the manager salary, everyone but ourselves....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I am glad some folks make a lot of money. I more hope they are happy, fulfilled and find their work rewarding.

Aesthetics would never suit me personally. Just not something I find necessary except in burn patients and congenital defects. 

Money can't buy me happiness - cliché but true.

I have to like what I do and be happy doing it. 

So, to each his/her own - be good, be ethical, be smart.

Enjoy what you have.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cideous said:

Unlike many of you, I am amazingly good looking....hence I should be making 1 million a year.  A few days ago I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and was paralyzed.  Who is that good looking guy I thought???

🤣😂😅

paralyzed by looking in the mirror makes you medusa my friend....:)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, EMEDPA said:

paralyzed by looking in the mirror makes you medusa my friend....:)

Things have been pretty heavy around here lately and understandably so my friend.  But yes, you are correct.  If me and medusa caught a glance of each other at the same time, it would be a toss up as to who would turn to stone first!  LOL!

• Haha 2

I agree money is not everything

I would also point out that I currently feel taken advantage of due to low pay and high revenue generation.  Sort of makes the whole thing feel bad.

So working on trying to get the balance between value (what I generate versus what I get paid)  And in this equation, in the out patient internal medicine primary care fields, it is simply not fair to be generating 90-100% of what a doc generates, and paid 50%.   just doesn't sit right with me........    So I just completed a 20min conversation with a Billing company on opening my own practice.    I will not harbor ill will against my current employer, I will just be proactive and make changes to correct it.

Good for you and I hope it is successful. I opened my own practice back when but some family issues forced me to close after about a year (just as it was becoming viable). It is a ton of work but there is nothing quite like being the captain of your own ship.

personal currency changes over time. My latest (and hopefully last) job is with the VA so I knew coming in it was going to be a lot of work for )probably) not enough money. But it fills my work/life balance need and I have found a little passion again as an advocate for veterans. getting a little passion back is worth more than money.

• Like 1