PA profession missed its opportunities to advance during this pandemic while NPs took a few steps forward

A lot of profession did well during this pandemic. The PA profession isn't one of them. We did slightly better than hospitality workers

many PA's got wrecked (REKT). some of us had to fight hard to keep working full time and not get furloughed. Many newbies could not even land decent jobs other than temp openings that consisted of monitoring MAs perform (some even had to actually do it themselves) doing covid swabs. They were just treated as glorified MAs so docs don't have to do them.

NPs on the other hand, moved forward with their overall professional goals and are step closer to independent practice in all states. We saw NPs gaining independence in some key states  and taking control over PAs in the field of telemedicine. They have become the provider of choice in minute clinics in CVS or Walmart. Oh and how about this gut punch... in NP independent  states, some NPs opened up covid swabs clinics and made close to millions. But we PAs do not even have the privilege to do that , and no supervisor doc would collaborate with us since it was their opportunity to make it big themselves.  Yeah why would these docs include us when they can have and eat the whole cake themselves. So some NPs and Docs made out like bandits but not PAs. Nope not us.. We just got slaughtered.

What have we PAs gotten done during the pandemic? We just barely got a third party survey completed for a possible name change and are stuck in this stage , lol.We are still treated as "assistants" and fighting for scrapes now left after NPs. Yet old stubborn PAs with the old way of thinking  wants to maintain status quo and no change when there is already more than enough evidence that we are getting shafted and treated like crap. Their dogmatic thinking is making them look more pathetic as time passes. We are losing out potential opportunities to NPs -some PAs have started working for their NP bosses now- and are now seen as inferior all around (except education). 

Just get the name change done and full practice authority in all NP indepdent states ASAP. Otherwise our already dashed hopes could become reality. Do we even have any hope left?  I'm saving up a ton of moola right now - thanks to crypto profits- in case a huge downturn for the PA profession comes rapidly. It is more than  likely thanks to the advancement of NPs and  our continuous  regression. We are sheeps ready to get chopped... yikes

But I will give Kudos to Utah PA's. They somehow got the first FPA for PAs, although it comes with caveats. Better than no option I guess, which is the case in all other states lol.

Anyways, many people I know made a fortune last year from  stocks due to once-in-a-liftetime bull market and none of them are PAs. Moreover many are striking rich from the crypto boom this year -luckily I joined early and made a year worth of salary already. Unfortunately , most of us PA's missed out on this huge opportunity to cash-in and pay back their student loans and mortgages. 

I'm mentioning stocks and crypto, because in the future when NPs end up with higher paying jobs than us, we will be needing supplemental incomes to get by 

Edited by WantToHopeForPAfuture
  • Downvote 2

If the crypto guys hang on long enough, I suspect that there will be a crypto bust. Historically, it's almost always a cycle.

We are where we are. If you're older and have stocks, then you did well -- this time. Those same people went through their hell in the late 80s, among other crashes.

It falls to us all to guide our profession (and our country, for that matter) through the present issues to hopefully a better future.

Edited by UGoLong
  • Like 1

• WantToHopeForPAfuture changed the title to PA profession missed its opportunities to advance during this pandemic while NPs took a few steps forward

actually when we did the docs tried to shame us and say things like "this won't be forgotten". Yea.... you can't do the job and oppose everything we say and do. Who cares what you think?

Sadly we had plenty of "thought leaders" who said things like "legislators won't forget it if we take advantage during the crisis." Dumbest stuff I ever heard. They won't forget us for losing our health and sometimes our lives to be on the front lines of the worst epidemic since the Spanish Flu? idiots.

Thankfully very few took that point of view, we stepped up and stepped in and those actions are propelling a lot of the OTP changes. Now things have calmed again and we are being dragged to a halt or at least a slow crawl again.

Are we afraid of success?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nurses - all are fighting for the same thing...  unified

PA's  -  Well NCCPA has their agenda, AAPA used to be out in left field (in past 5 years they have come around) , PAFT leading the charge....  States are hit and miss

So we can not even unify ourselves to go after one goal...... sad 

• Sad 1

So I guess we can expect this guy to show up and pump crypto/penny stocks every time doge coin goes up 10%?

Mind you, the same poster wrote, 

“I  personally witnessed some college kids dropping out this year with 5 million dollar profits. This crypto thing this change is happening yet some have no clue.. Yes, some are really bitter for missing out.”

And, 

I’ve personally made a newbie PAs salary in one year on crypto”

And I thought I hated my job. This clown is glorifying kids dropping out of school with 5 million bucks on a joke coin...On a medical/scientific forum! Got news for you. 5 million is nothing when you don’t have anything else going for you. And you haven’t made anything until you realize your profit, and pay your fat capita gains. You can, and will, lose half if not more in one single day. 

I have a little brother. He’s 31. Never had a job his entire life. He put the only $10k he had into crypto, made 90k in 1.5 years all the while using this as a scape goat against working, lost 80k in one day recently. Still thinks he’ll be a millionaire and sail off into the sunset on a new boat in a couple years without ever making anything of himself. Some serious pathology with this generation.  

I don’t know what your agenda is here. Seems fishy. If you want to highlight current issues in the PA field, I’ll contribute and read. But if you want to come on here and pump cryptocurrency and brag about the 70k you made this year, there’s an entirely different section of the forum just for you. 

• Upvote 4

Dude I already make 150k per year as an EM PA. Yeah I barely made over 100k on bitcoin this year. So what? anyways  I wrote about all this to illustrate how awful PAs are doing these days, including financially. Yet us PAs - most of them- don't care about advocating  and fighting for better opportunities. I am pissed seeing NPs taking better jobs and opening up clinics and making banks while PAs are getting treated like glorified MAs and getting dirt low-ball salaries... Maybe PAs should delve into crypto  or stocks and make millions like some of my friends who got into bitcoin and tesla early . They are retired now and are living off dividends and other passive incomes. Am I bitter? Heck yeah. They are living their dreams. I worked so much harder all these years yet where am i? Also as a PA i get lesser treatment than even NPs now. Of course I am pissed in all ways. Anyways   Crypto or stocks might be us PAs only hope to succeed financially  now since we are about to get REKTed by NPs

• Upvote 2

On 5/8/2021 at 6:10 AM, WantToHopeForPAfuture said:

What is this ? 

It’s the recovery room section. You can start a crypto thread there. Who knows, maybe it’ll be a major hit with the forum. And since you lost the equivalent of a brand new car today, I’m sure there’s lots to discuss. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ANESMCR said:

It’s the recovery room section. You can start a crypto thread there. Who knows, maybe it’ll be a major hit with the forum. And since you lost the equivalent of a brand new car today, I’m sure there’s lots to discuss. 

Dude I bought in Doge when it was less than once cent. I am still up 70x my initial investment still made  enough to pay entire student loans or make 20% down-payment lol. I am up 200 percent on bitocin and 300 percent in ethereum and 75 percent on other shkt coins. This volatility doesn't.bothet me since I bought I early. It is always those that jump in late that gets killed 

Likewise, NPs have started early. We PAs are late to the FPA party. Pharmacists are now moving in. We might end up joining even later then them. We PAs are about to get destroyed. Just watch. Thank you PA leadership for leading to this