2021-2022 Application Cycle

Doreen, or those who have interviewed or applied to OHSU, what are your ages? I want to reapply to OHSU but I also dont want to waste the money if I dont have a chance due to age. I noticed that their average age is 28 with like 2.75-3 years of experience....I am only 23 and will be 24 by the time I apply. Anyone think this is worth it?

• Like 1

Hi Friends, 

I hope all and loved ones are well, safe, and healthy. 

I am applying to OHSU this week! I'm so S-T-O-K-E-D!!!! Still waiting on CASPA Verification. 

First time applying to any PA Program, I've been waiting for this moment for almost twenty years. 

Good luck to all. 

Very Respectfully, 

Ryan C. Martin-Valenzuela, M.S. 

U.S. Navy, Retired 

My Pronouns Are: He/His/Him 

• Like 1

@jpuetz, I have waited almost twenty years to apply to PA Programs. Yes, there is A LOT of preparation and money spending before applying, but just because the reported average age of previous classes does not specifically align with your own, does NOT mean you are not a competitive applicant. I am 42 years old, will be 43 when entering a PA Program (if I get into one). Fear and second guessing yourself are LIARS; so, wipe the tears from your face, suppress the fear and second guessing, and hit that "SUBMIT" button!!!!

• Like 4

On 5/22/2021 at 9:40 AM, PATBD said:

Hey everyone! Replicant here. Landed an interview but no acceptance. FYI, Julie stated it’s 30 seats again this year, instead of 42. 

Best of luck everyone!

I believe it is 34 this year. They are increasing it by 4 every year until they get back up to 42. At least that's what they told us in the information session!

On 5/19/2021 at 7:00 AM, jpuetz said:

Doreen, or those who have interviewed or applied to OHSU, what are your ages? I want to reapply to OHSU but I also dont want to waste the money if I dont have a chance due to age. I noticed that their average age is 28 with like 2.75-3 years of experience....I am only 23 and will be 24 by the time I apply. Anyone think this is worth it?

Hey, I’m 30, 29 when I applied last year, so I guess closer to that average but I genuinely don’t think it matters. In the interview process I met people within a very wide range. I think the experience may just matter more(amount and type) so I still say give it a shot

Hi everyone, I am in the process of applying to OHSU but I was wondering if anyone could help explain the activity/event participation portion of the supplemental application. Does this include informational events? if so do we just say yes/no or do we write an essay? I'm a little confused...

*I will send an email on Monday but since its the weekend I thought I try asking everyone on the forum.*

22 hours ago, ARHEES said:

Hi everyone, I am in the process of applying to OHSU but I was wondering if anyone could help explain the activity/event participation portion of the supplemental application. Does this include informational events? if so do we just say yes/no or do we write an essay? I'm a little confused...

*I will send an email on Monday but since its the weekend I thought I try asking everyone on the forum.*

I wrote a quick couple sentences about the interactions I had with OHSU up to that point, including dates of info sessions attended 

Hello Everyone!  Best of luck this cycle!  I too am applying to OHSU.  CASPA application was verified on 5/24.  I received an email from OHSU on the same date confirming that the application is complete and moving forward in the review process.  Fingers crossed for everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone! i hope we all get the answers we want this cycle! i’m submitting within this week. it’s my second cycle applying but first time to OHSU, which is purely bc i was a dum dum and missed last year’s deadline. for those of you that interviewed, how did you feel about the format and faculty? 🙂

Hi Everyone!

Don't know if this will be helpful to anyone, but first time, out-of-state applicant here:

Applied 5/3 (give or take a day or two)

Received confirmation from OHSU that the verified application was received and sent to the admissions committee 5/6

Received rejection letter 6/1

Pretty quick turn-around time. Unfortunate, but not letting it get me down.

Good luck to all!!

• Like 7

14 hours ago, AlliBess said:

Hi Everyone!

Don't know if this will be helpful to anyone, but first time, out-of-state applicant here:

Applied 5/3 (give or take a day or two)

Received confirmation from OHSU that the verified application was received and sent to the admissions committee 5/6

Received rejection letter 6/1

Pretty quick turn-around time. Unfortunate, but not letting it get me down.

Good luck to all!!

Sorry to hear about the rejection letter!  Your post is very helpful.  I received an email from OHSU on 5/24 stating my application is moving forward in the review process.  I guess I could hear anytime now!  Thanks for sharing this. I hope you find success with another program. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Received a rejection email today.  Going to share my stats as information for the group:

Overall GPA: 3.77

Science GPA: 4.0

Patient Care Experience: 22,000 hours

Volunteer: 400+ Hours

Shadowing: 60 hours in person, 40 Virtual

LOR's: 1 from a MD, 2 from PA's, 1 from a science professor and 1 from a former supervisor.

OHSU was one of my top schools so this comes as a disappointment.  Fortunately, I have interviews scheduled with 4 other programs so far.  Good luck to everyone!

• Like 6

I also received a rejection today. OHSU was in my top 5, so it stings. Hoping for another school this year, but will 100% reapply if I don’t get in. 

Stats: 

GPA: 3.1

sGPA: 3.3

PCE: 13 years as an athletic trainer 

volunteer: around 100

LOR: MD, PAC, PT (supervisor), chem professor. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...