Graduating tomorrow. Taking PANCE at the end of the month. Starting residency in January 2022. What can I do for work in between PANCE and starting residency?

Hey everyone, I graduate tomorrow and take the PANCE at the end of this month. Assuming I pass, I'll have 01 June - 31 December, 2021 free to spend back home in California. I start my residency Jan, 2022 in Houston. I'm going to spend the first month of my free-time enjoying life and focusing all my attention on my family. After that, I know I'm going to be itching to do something. I understand that due to my residency start date, finding any work will be difficult. I talked to a few preceptors and one preceptor mentioned to go get my DOT Certification and go work at an urgent care and do DOT physicals. Is this realistic with the short time I'll have (5 months)? Another provider mentioned COVID clinics. Is this also realistic?

In addition to the two options mentioned above, are there any other "job" options for someone in my situation? I am open to anything. After taking the PANCE I'm sure I'll be super motivated to work and learn new things. I just want to do something and make some money while I wait for my residency to start. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Lort.... I had a feeling someone would come up with something but that caught me unawares

I was gonna ask if he owned a banjo...

Anyway I don't have a great suggestion because the limited time frame makes your options few. You can talk to a bunch of locums company and see if any of them have some short term gigs.

That...was a lot.

I think your preceptors' advice is pretty good. You don't need longevity, you need something to keep your mind somewhat in the game. I'd do either of those things, contract work for COVID is wide open these days.

Maybe do something PT and just immerse yourself in whatever your specialty is going to be on your off time!

This is a tough question and not sure how to answer. You probably won’t learn much getting your DOT cert and staring fresh at an urgent care may be ill-advised. And with 5 months to spared, prob not realistic.  Locums looking for new grads is kind of tough to come by too. I would look into the covid clinics.

If you’re willing to do something non medical for a few months, substitute teaching can be a good gig. School systems are usually desperate for subs, and it’s a job with a lot of flexibility. You can choose the days you want to work and turn down any opportunities that you don’t want. The pay is decent, too, for a temp job.