Call Coverage

• Administrator

I started taking call for the first time in ~9 years of PA work this year, and the rate is a flat $75/day for phone coverage only for a 16 bed residential eating disorder treatment facility.  I once got calls on three patients in one weekend, but that was rare.  I live ~70 miles away, but there are no weekend admits and only rare discharges, so it's not too hard to do.

In general, I recommend people negotiate hourly pay, with overtime, and so by default if I'm on call, I'm on the clock 1:1. Now, that's a ridiculously favorable pay rate, but if an employer will accept that, then they clearly have no plans to put me on call.  I would have absolutely no qualms about staying in town, avoiding intoxicants, and keeping my phone charged and handy if I'm getting 63 hours from 5 PM Friday to 8 AM Monday.  Even if that's not the arrangement, I suggest people negotiate in reasonable call pay to any contract even if there are "no current plans" to have PAs on call.

Great feedback. Thank you for this response. I have read some of the older posts and it was very helpful as well.

Any suggestions on putting together something in writing? I think I will be much more assertive in future negotiations. Haven’t done this in some time so I was all over the place😊